8 replies to this topic

#1 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

So, I just got back from New York and I went on the trip not expecting to see this show, but heard it was getting rave reviews over on broadway world forums so decided to get $60 seats (cheapest in the house) on the day of the show.

All I can say is WOW! I would live to see this show transfer as it was possibly the greatest piece of theatre I have seen! It had a wonderful score and the story though dark is sweet and endearing! The direction is terrific and I was truly blown away by what I was seeing on stage in a wonderful musical meets cirque de soleil production! Patina Miller was fantastic as the leading player as she encapsulated power, sex and comedy perfectly, and danced incredibly, which I never knew she could do! Andrea Martin was incredible as berthe performing acts I never knew possible whilst performing, and at her age it was incredible, I am sure she will win the supporting actress tony and every night so far has apparently received a standing ovation mid show! Generally I would describe the casting in this show as 'perfect' and honestly wouldn't be surprised to see it sweep all 4 acting awards at the Tony's! It is a truly phenomenal production which I could go on and on about, but if anyone is planning on going I don't want to ruin it for you, and people might get bored reason the whole of a massive essay raving about a show! But I would truly love to see this come over, so if anyone has any information regarding this I might just die of excitement! :P if you get any chance to go and see this, DO IT!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#2 D'James

D'James

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

I loved the Menier production last year. Love the music. I also really like Patina, so if it transferred I'd hope she would come with it.

#3 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

My musical highlight from last year.
I can't think out of the box as I don't have a box to start with.

#4 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

Everyone's raving about this production... Not heard one negative word about it .. Quite a rarity!

#5 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the head's up MS1995! Currently planning a Broadway trip and while this is on my list of things to see it was pretty far down due to other shows sounding more interesting to me. It's now been bumped up :) What was the view like from your seat? (I'd either get a $60 ticket too or possibly rush it depending on queuing time).

#6 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Pretty good, I was literally in the back row of the theatre, and could still see everything important, there was the odd piece of dance missed to the top right corner, but I only got the seats the day of the show so they weren't overly central, so better seats at that price were probably available! Also I have heard that mezzanine is favourable over orchestra, and when I went past the theatre the morning of the show at 9:45 the rush queue was pretty long (BOx office opened at 10) and after reviews I can only imagine it gettin flanger and more sold out, so I would recommend booking early and $60 seats should be fine!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#7 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

I just watched this today at the matinee, bought same day tickets at $59 mezz. This being the day after the Tony awards...and i have to say, i'm not a big fan. In my opinion, if i wanted to go to see a circus/caberet, then i'll go see a circus/caberet.  Just did not get it and not sure whether it will work in London....in a way i'm not surprised that when Pippin first came over that it wasn't a big hit..i came out of it wishing i had 2 hours of my life back...but most of the audience loved it?

No standing ovation for Andrea and there were about 5 rows of empty seats in back mezz today..However, it seems that i'm in a minority of opinion over here about it but i guess i've found something that just isn't my thing....

fingers crossed Kinky Boots will be great tomorrow !

#8 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

I wouldn't hold your breath for kinky boots but do share your thoughts, I'd be interested to hear if it's evolved and if the accents have improved since I saw the previews

#9 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

I wouldn't hold your breath for kinky boots but do share your thoughts, I'd be interested to hear if it's evolved and if the accents have improved since I saw the previews

Also tagged with Pippin, Broadway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users