2 replies to this topic

#1 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

Surprised again to find no thread for this charming and very lively musical.  As with A Class Act at the Landor, it has a large cast (14) for the space and an orchestra of 4 alongside.  It really is great fun, however preposterous the plot, and I can't imagine any fan of musical theatre failing to enjoy it.  And as the theatre is currently under threat, all the better to support it just now.

#2 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

We loved it too, even with a voiceless Rebecca Caine. Kind of My Fair Lady lite with a great big heart and plenty of nods and winks. Absolutely love what the Union do, hope they stay or find a new space (maybe with better toilets :) ). I raved about Darling on the blog http://www.frontrowd...iday-22_23.html

#3 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Rebecca Caine was in great voice tonight.  Kind of a thrill to be sitting two feet away from the beautiful lady who created the role of Cosette and who is (to me) the defining and greatest Christine Daae.

The show itself was fun, well-cast, as always at the Union.  Katy Secombe (Harry's daughter) was terrific as Alice from Putney, the role that won Patricia Routledge a Tony, and James Dinsmore was very good as Priam Farll, the painter who fakes his own demise.  Musically, it's second tier Jule Styne but Yip Harburg's lyrics are wonderfully clever, worthy of some better songs.  Very glad I was able to see it and see it so well done.  It probably won't be coming around again.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users