47 replies to this topic

#1 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

well that's going to be an awkward and unique evening at Billy Elliot and The Audience tonight. They can't ignore the event, and the audience certainly won't let them ignore it. I wonder how the Company manager will treat the performance tonight. Politics aside, I was always uncomfortable about that song in Billy Elliot, especially with young kids around. That's not me being prudish but what an easy target.

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Rejoice!

#3 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

I imagine that at both shows they will have a little word at the end or something and say the show was performed in her memory or something along those lines!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#4 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

I would hope they'd have a pre-show announcement, rather than post.

#5 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

I hope Billy Elliot keeps the song in - agree or not, it's how a significant proportion of the country felt at the time. And probably still feels.

#6 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Will the line now be "further from" instead of "closer to..." ?

Many of my formative years were under her tenure and I hated it and her politics but I can't rejoice at her death. Anyway, the damage she did is still happening and being felt today so even if I was that vindictive, her death wouldn't make any difference.

It makes me shudder to say that she was the last genuinely radical British PM. Not in a good way, but she was.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#7 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

if anyone is in either of the companies of Billy Elliot and The Audience, please do report back after tonight. It's going to be an uncomfortable and sensitive evening I suspect.

#8 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Surely they'll have to change it ?

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 08 April 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Will the line now be "further from" instead of "closer to..." ?

Many of my formative years were under her tenure and I hated it and her politics but I can't rejoice at her death. Anyway, the damage she did is still happening and being felt today so even if I was that vindictive, her death wouldn't make any difference.

It makes me shudder to say that she was the last genuinely radical British PM. Not in a good way, but she was.

Billy Elliot is set in the mid 1980s, not the present or the future, so the line will not be changed!!!

"We should rejoice at that news. Rejoice!" was Thatcher's response to the sinking of the Belgrano, causing much Argentinian death, as it sailed away from the Falklands/Malvinas. Denis Healey said she was "glorying in slaughter".

#10 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

deleted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users