#31 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostLynette, on 09 April 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

'Narrow minded and philistine' eh? Hmmmm I wonder how much of the 'arts' our current gov ministers experience? I saw Tony Blair at Oklahomo with his family back when. S'pose that's ok then.

Oh, Lynette, if you didn't exist, we couldn't make you up. I suppose that Oklahomo was a show about satisfactory Los Angeles gays was it?

#32 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

'Narrow minded and philistine' eh? Hmmmm I wonder how much of the 'arts' our current gov ministers experience? I saw Tony Blair at Oklahomo with his family back when. S'pose that's ok then.

Someone above mentioned Yes Minister. In one episode, Bernard explains to Hacker why PMs/ministers are well-advised to avoid seeing plays, as the individual play and its title are always open to wild interpretations (e.g. going to see A Month In The Country means an election is about to be called, etc). So perhaps real-life politicians actually do follow this rule.

Off that topic slightly - there's a scene where Hacker has a drinks reception with theatremakers as an attempt to soft-soap them in the face of arts cuts. He quickly becomes uncomfortable with questions being fired at him:

ACTOR: What was the last play you saw?
HACKER: Er... Hamlet.
ACTOR: Whose?
HACKER: Well - Shakespeare.

Sir Humphrey spells out to Bernard the possible tragedies of arts funding cuts:

HUMPHREY: Do you want to see the National Theatre become a carpet sale warehouse?
BERNARD: Well it does look like one.
HUMPHREY: We gave the architect a knighthood so that no-one would ever say that!
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#33 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Going back where this thread started, was any announcement made at either show?

#34 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

I saw Jack Cunningham at NT once and someone asked for his autograph. Ah, the times we've seen !

#35 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

http://www.dailymail...h-Baroness.html

Back to the topic at hand, their was a public audience vote on whether the song should go ahead

The Audience will have a speech at the start

#36 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Well we have had Evita, Marilyn, Piaf etc. Now in production "Maggie! The Musical!" It will be patriotic, divisive and controversial. The hottest ticket in town. Number include - "The Ladies not for Turning", "Argentine Tango", "Where there is harmony let us bring discord", "Milk Snatcher Thatcher", and the " Brighton Bomb Ballet" at the end of Act One.

#37 Pippin

Pippin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Despite her appalling homophobia and that absolutely vile clause 28, and many other appalling things associated with her, I feel neither happiness nor sadness at her death. She has gone now, fine, the world moves on. Goodbye and all that.

But yes, I fear a Maggie musical will come..... Mind you I recall the musical Hot Stuff many years ago with a brilliant Thatcher number referring to the 80s, with a guy in Thatcher drag singing "I want your money". Good jukebox musical too - way before they came into vogue!

#38 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

"Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" - currently #2 on iTunes.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#39 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostPippin, on 09 April 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

But yes, I fear a Maggie musical will come..

I hope they don't rush one out, for any value of "they". There have been far too many productions based around the idea of "We need to be topical. We don't have time to be good."
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#40 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 09 April 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Leaving aside the environmental arguments, it is a good thing that generations of teenagers have not had to go and work down the mines, it is a rotten and dangerous industry and we are better off without it (I had relatives in the industry, incidentally).
Can't believe Thatcher did not use this line of argument during the bitter dispute of the eighties to explain to the miners she was really a force for good when she tore our communities apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users