Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 09 April 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

"Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" - currently #2 on iTunes.
How depressing. People have no imagination. Where's the Billy Elliot song on that list?! Also, Tramp The Dirt Down by Elvis Costello? Stand Down Margaret by The Beat?

View Postwickedgrin, on 09 April 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Well we have had Evita, Marilyn, Piaf etc. Now in production "Maggie! The Musical!" It will be patriotic, divisive and controversial. The hottest ticket in town. Number include - "The Ladies not for Turning", "Argentine Tango", "Where there is harmony let us bring discord", "Milk Snatcher Thatcher", and the " Brighton Bomb Ballet" at the end of Act One.

You've pretty much written it. Tag Line: "There can be no alternative."

Love scenes with Reagan/Pinochet? Miners' Lament? Abolition Blues and GLC You Later featuring the Red Ken Chorus? There'd have to be a brilliantly choreographed depiction of the poll tax riots, and a dramatic number called "No! No! No!"

PS About 4 years ago there was already a play called The Death of Margaret Thatcher, which I saw at the Courtyard Theatre in Shoreditch. It was more about news coverage than about MT but I got the sense the writer wanted the eye-catching title so much he didn't think much further about the content.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#42 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Backdrifter - we should collaborate! I see $ signs! LOL

#43 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostBackdrifter, on 10 April 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

PS About 4 years ago there was already a play called The Death of Margaret Thatcher, which I saw at the Courtyard Theatre in Shoreditch. It was more about news coverage than about MT but I got the sense the writer wanted the eye-catching title so much he didn't think much further about the content.
Is this a different one from Maggie's End at the Shaw Theatre? Which was all about whether Gordon would grant her a state funeral

#44 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 10 April 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Is this a different one from Maggie's End at the Shaw Theatre? Which was all about whether Gordon would grant her a state funeral
Yep - different play. The one I saw focused on news broadcasters going into a panic covering her death. There was a Sally Smedley type snooty anchor-woman character who gratuitously took her bra off at one point.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#45 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

I have to say the current BBC headline "Show performs Thatcher death song" gives a rather different impression that if the same story were headlined "Show carries on as normal"...

#46 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Hurrah for extheatre lady Glenda, puncturing the love-in at Parliament this week!

Best comment IMO goes to Ken Loach " How should we honour her? Let's privatise the funeral. Put it out to competative tender and accept the cheapest bid. It's what she would have wanted."

Someone who spent the last months in a private suite at the Ritz should be paying the entire cost of the funeral, not the tax-payers. But as we have discovered austerity does not apply to all, just sections (including the arts).
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#47 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

The Daily Mail, not wanting to waste an opportunity to rant about how we're all doomed, has used Thatcher's death as an excuse to lambast the BBC for its coverage, claiming that outraged viewers are attacking the BBC for its shamelessly negative view of her legacy. The Mail correctly points out that there have been hundreds of complaints but in typical Mail style it neglects to mention that more people complained about excessively positive coverage than negative, because it would be a shame to allow the truth to stand in the way of whipping up a storm of hatred. Nice going, Mail: much as I disliked Thatcher's approach and her total disdain for the electorate, using her death as a way to advance one of your hate campaigns is probably the most tasteless thing that has happened in the past few days.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#48 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostIan, on 12 April 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Someone who spent the last months in a private suite at the Ritz should be paying the entire cost of the funeral, not the tax-payers.

She was staying there for free though ;)
Which way did he go McGill?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users