Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

I'm not making this up am I - there used to be a 'Regional' forum on this board didn't there? Where did it go? Was it got rid of, and why? I was absent from the board for some time so maybe something happened during that period.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

The Regional forum was seldom used, so WoS migrated all its content into Plays, Musicals, General Chat, etc. and then deleted the forum. The Opera & Other forum met a similar fate. Just post regional plays posts in Plays and regional musicals posts in Musicals! I do occasionally, in the forlorn hope that someone else will have a response. Usually, there's either no response (which is fine if no one else knows about it or has any interest) or a single silly response from someone who knows nothing about it but still feels an urge to comment, usually with misunderstanding (which isn't fine!) So I've generally given up posting on "regional" topics. However, I find it interesting to read other people's posts on theatre which is remote from me and I'd really welcome lots of people posting about the theatre they see which is important to them, wherever it takes place.

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Okay thanks for that comprehensive reply. I've only got 16 posts left before I bow out but I might be able to squeeze a regional one in - seeing Quiz Show at the Traverse next week.

#4 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostBackdrifter, on 09 April 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Okay thanks for that comprehensive reply. I've only got 16 posts left before I bow out but I might be able to squeeze a regional one in - seeing Quiz Show at the Traverse next week.
  Why have you only got 16 posts left?

#5 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 09 April 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Why have you only got 16 posts left?
I'll tell you why I've only got 15 posts left. A while back, I got fed up of this board and didn't visit it for a year or two. Having recently returned to it, I'm still not too fussed about staying on it but quite liked the idea of finishing on 999 posts. Yes, lame I know, but there it is.

I suppose I should choose those remaining ones carefully. Perhaps I'll see them out in the Fringe forum where I usually most enjoyed lurking, despite its barrrenness and the bleak chilly winds and tumbleweeds etc.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

We'll do our best to goad you into going over your limit.

#7 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostLynette, on 09 April 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

We'll do our best to goad you into going over your limit.

Just 999 as Backdrifter I assume, you'll surely invent a slightly different persona and return to the board wearing a beard as a newbie ?

#8 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 09 April 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Just 999 as Backdrifter I assume, you'll surely invent a slightly different persona and return to the board wearing a beard as a newbie ?
:lol:
In fact, I've kind of already done this. 2 or 3 years back when I first legged it, guest posts were still allowed. About a year later, I crept back in, indeed wearing as you say a big hat, shades and false beard, and affecting a different accent. I posted as a guest; while many guests were extremely annoying, as most of us will recall, I was polite and articulate but interestingly was still treated as a leper - well, okay, a bit sneeringly - by many regulars.

But no, rejoining as a newbie in disguise doesn't appeal.

#9 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 09 April 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

:lol:
In fact, I've kind of already done this. 2 or 3 years back when I first legged it, guest posts were still allowed. About a year later, I crept back in, indeed wearing as you say a big hat, shades and false beard, and affecting a different accent. I posted as a guest; while many guests were extremely annoying, as most of us will recall, I was polite and articulate but interestingly was still treated as a leper - well, okay, a bit sneeringly - by many regulars.

But no, rejoining as a newbie in disguise doesn't appeal.

What of course would be quite unacceptable would be to rejoin as two new characters with opposing views and stage long vitriolic arguments with yourself under the banner of performance art. I hasten to add I haven't done this (on this forum anyway) and Lynette can confirm that Dilly and I are two quite different people. Quite different. Despite the fact we both know a lot about 1970s TV. Not the same at all.

#10 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Don't think I haven't considered it. It's very appealing. In the late 80s or early 90s, there was a mercifully short-lived BBC series in which celebs "interviewed" themselves. It cut between them asking questions along the lines of "What do you say to those who criticise you for the views you expressed about..." and the 'other' them giving earnest self-justifying responses. Thus each episode was simply a dreary puff-piece, inevitably. I was infuriated no-one had taken the chance to stage a massive argument with themselves, ending with the 'interviewee' muttering, detaching their microphone, and walking off a la John Knott. It seemed the obvious thing to do, and it was what I definitely would've done if I'd been celeb enough to be on that show.

You seem to be following Lynette's idea that I be goaded into exceeding my 999. I'm sorry to see you being party to that goading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users