#2 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

About time too.

I know he has his fans - and in the early days, I was one of them.  But sometimes people stay too long in a job.  I appreciate that he wanted to stick around to complete the building work - but I would have rather he went before that started.

Programming has become rather uninteresting over recent years and my visits have declined.

His appointment was announced in 2001 and he took over in 2003.  There are no doubts that he has overseen some very successful productions in that time - and has directed some good work himself.  But I still believe that 12 years in such a job is too long.  The place needs fresh thinking, new ideas, a new direction.

As for his replacement, I think it is about time that a woman headed up one of our national companies...

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

The "phased succession process" seems extraordinarily protracted, with advertisement next week for a new Director, with an expectation of announcing the appointment of the Director Designate this autumn, and with a start date of 1 April 2015. I suppose it gives the appointed Director Designate plenty of time to conceive, give birth and bond with her baby for a few months before starting the job.

http://www.nationalt...ut-the-nt/press

#4 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Personally I'll be very sad to see him go - I think he has done wonders for the NT and has been a great advocate for the arts. I hope whatever he does next means he continues to have a strong public profile. But I get the argument that fresh blood and new ideas are a good thing. It would be an immensely positive move for them to get someone not male, pale and Oxbridge for once...

#5 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

I thnk he's done an excellent job, not only putting on a wide mix of  the new and the revived but bringing in a good variety of companies to complement the in house work, putting on a range of outdoor activities etc.

"I think it is about time that a woman headed up one of our national companies..."
"It would be an immensely positive move for them to get someone not male, pale and Oxbridge for once..."

That'll be Marianne Elliot then (who I think would be a great choice). Others might include Tom Morris and Matthew Warchus who haven't run buildings before and Ian Rickson, Dominic Cooke, Dominic Dromgoole and Michael Grandage who have.Setting aside those who have recently taken over positions elsewhere (Goold, Holmes etc), who are far too peripatetic (Daldry etc.) and who might be seen as too left field (Katie Mitchell, for example, who I think would actually be a really interesting choice, and is one of our highest profile directors internationally) anyone else? I think they'll probably go for someone at round Hytner's age when he took over so that rules out his generation.

#6 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

I know it's interesting to say "Let's have a woman instead of a man this time..." etc, but can we just have the right person for the job whether they be male, female, black, white, gay, straight...?

#7 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostABowlerHat, on 10 April 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

I know it's interesting to say "Let's have a woman instead of a man this time..." etc, but can we just have the right person for the job whether they be male, female, black, white, gay, straight...?

Yes, it feels logical and right to advocate recruiting a woman, but a non-"pale" non-Oxbridge woman won't necessarily be any different or better than another Oxbridge white bloke.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#8 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Any possibility of Sam Mendes chucking his hat in the ring, do you think? I'd be willing to suspend my 'male, pale, Oxbridge' prejudice for him. I know Michael Grandage should be a strong candidate but he doesn't particularly excite me, for some reason. Interesting mention of Katie Mitchell by CP - I've given up on trying to like her directing style but I'd be absolutely fascinated to see what she did with the place.

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 10 April 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Others might include Tom Morris and Matthew Warchus who haven't run buildings before

Tom Morris was Artistic Director at Battersea Arts Centre from 1995 to 2004 and is presently Artistic Director at Bristol Old Vic. That's two buildings!

Michael Grandage has already stated on the record that he isn't interested.

Executive Director Nick Starr referred to the NT today as "this place", like Abby does above, and that's the aspect of the NT that interests me least. The Director of the NT could see their role as being so much wider than a programmer of the South Bank theatres, and in fact Nicholas Hytner has done so, acting as de facto spokesperson for the nation's theatre and continuing the NT Studio as a research and development resource for the wider theatrical culture.

I think Dominic Cooke could be excellent for NT South Bank audiences, but it would be a major loss to the nation if he concentrated the company's focus on its immediate local audience, which is what he did at the Royal Court.

Stephen Daldry would be fantastic to run any arts organisation - reimagining what it does in innovative, flexible, open and inclusive ways - and so it would be wonderful if he's now interested in leading the NT.

#10 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 10 April 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Tom Morris was Artistic Director at Battersea Arts Centre from 1995 to 2004 and is presently Artistic Director at Bristol Old Vic. That's two buildings!

Michael Grandage has already stated on the record that he isn't interested.

Ah, bugger, I am, and was then, a regular at the BAC as well. Not surprised by Grandage saying that but I suppose it could be a politic denial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users