"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#12 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2087 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Top price tickets for all of the rep shows for £15 (down from £20) in this ATG tickets sale ... http://www.atgtickets.com/48hoursale/

#13 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Just came back from the first rep show

It was clear that the cast only had one weeks rehearsal (Paul B had to resort to carrying round his script for half of the show) but some very clever and smart staging/direction alongside a script that has heaps of potential. It felt rough around the ages still and may need some thinkering around but seeing that its only on show for 1 week, i'm not sure what they can do at this stage!!

Dress Circle was only half full so not surprised at the sale.

Did anyone watch the surprise theatre tonight? What was it on?

#14 william demarest

william demarest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

I love the rep concept and I know they didn't have much time to rehearse but I really, really hated this.  The staging was great but the comedy fell very flat - the actors were obviously struggling to remember the dialogue and cues.  Actually felt sorry for some of the actors and what in the world was going on with Jonjo O'Neill's character towards the end of the play?  That was baffling.  For anyone going later in the week, it will get better as the actors get more comfortable - this really did feel like a dress rehearsal.

#15 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

This sounds true to the tradition of Weekly Rep! The key feature is (and was) neither that each play only runs for a week nor that a new show is produced every week, but that each production only gets a week's rehearsal and, during that week, many of the company are also putting on whatever they rehearsed the week before. It will be "interesting" to see how the whole six-week season pans out. Most of the other plays have much smaller casts, and so presumably meatier parts for each actor, and it will be quite frustrating for the audience if some actors are able to carry it off while others may be struggling. I'm also interested to see how much individual definition each play displays, and I hope they don't all mush into some bland "say the lines clearly and don't wobble the scenery" traditional Weekly Rep style.

I still think this is potentially a wonderful initiative - combining the resurrection of the derided, compromised and nostalgically recollected english stage tradition of Weekly Rep with the innovative and forward-looking English Stage Company tradition of presenting new work by new writers. I'm going in the latter half of each week, with a supportive mindset.

#16 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

View Postwilliam demarest, on 12 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

I love the rep concept and I know they didn't have much time to rehearse but I really, really hated this.  The staging was great but the comedy fell very flat - the actors were obviously struggling to remember the dialogue and cues.  Actually felt sorry for some of the actors and what in the world was going on with Jonjo O'Neill's character towards the end of the play?  That was baffling.  For anyone going later in the week, it will get better as the actors get more comfortable - this really did feel like a dress rehearsal.

Re: Jonjo..he was the character that was crazy wasn't he?

#17 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

View Posthotshot, on 12 June 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Re: Jonjo..he was the character that was crazy wasn't he?

Yes, Jonjo O'Neill's character is Lado, sewer of buttons and full of wind. I wonder if it's significant that the Georgian Prime Minister at the time of the Russian assault of August 2008 was Lado Gurgenidze.

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2087 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Saw President this afternoon - clearly much tighter than the early performance reviewed above. Paul B still carrying script but never referred to it. It was ostentatiously handed to him and taken back by the "stage manager" so perhaps a deliberate affectation?

Annoying staging - lengthy scenes at the extreme side of the stage turned my top price circle seat (reduced in offer) into restricted view

Overall enjoyed it with reservations.

Emptiest I've ever seen the place!

Anyone done the headphone plays?

#19 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Playwright at your table this morning was excellent. We were divided into groups of about 8 or so by pulling a location out of a tombola. My group sat in a circle of chairs on the Jerwood Downstairs stage. A different playwright was assigned to each group. I really didn't mind who read to us, but by a stroke of luck, we got Mike Bartlett, the author of some of my favourite plays of recent years. He read to us the play Cock, which I actually hadn't seen, and he read it compellingly. Usefully, he handed out copies of the play so that we could tell which character's dialogue he was reading. He said it made him feel like a teacher to be giving hand-outs. Afterwards, we discussed the play, each asked a few questions, and Mike signed them for us. That was a great morning, and this part of the Open Court season certainly was a wonderful new way to appreciate theatre. :)

#20 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2532 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Your playwright at your table experience sounds unforgettable. Great idea to use the tombola because you prepare yourself to listen to raw words, from the mouth of their writer, but you don't have time to over-think beforehand about the actual writer, so I expect you'd experience your reading with a fresh mind, even if you turn out to be drawn with a familiar writer or even with a familiar play. I envy your morning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users