Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

Next week I'm seeing this show by Rob Drummond of Bullet Catch fame.

An interesting thing - the Traverse is advising people to not read the reviews, except for that by The Herald. The others all seem to be positive judging by pull-quotes and star ratings but they apparently give away key spoilers.

I started this thread largely in case anyone other than me sees the play and comments here - unlikely though - not so much to discuss reviewers and spoilers which has probably been discussed in depth already elsewhere but I just wanted to mention the Traverse's comments as I hadn't seen a theatre do that before.

I've seen plenty of tweets from audience members praising the show but also warning others not to read any reviews before seeing the show.

I'm not much of a reviews reader anyway. I've heard before that Spencer is the most notorious spoiler merchant.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#2 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hmmm

#3 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

It's finished at the Traverse now but I hope it comes to London some time as I'd like to see it again. It deals with celebrity culture, and starts off with 3 contestants on a 1980s-style game show with a smarmy host; I think it's best not to know any more than that, and I agree it would be best to avoid reviews.

Okay that's me done. Cheeri-bye.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#4 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but on the subject of the Traverse - I'll be in Edinburgh in late June and was really hoping to see something there; however there's nothing listed later than early June. Does anyone know if a new season is due to be announced imminently or does it close for a pre-Festival summer break?

I'm a bit suspicious of the vagaries of regional theatre ever since I went to a conference in Manchester in August, and found that all the cultural places had shut down for the whole bleedin' month!

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

I don't know, but a quick look through the Traverse's News for 2012 shows that last year's Spring and Summer season ran until 9 June 2012 and the Festival 2012 programme seems to have been the next public activity. Why not phone them and ask??

As you know, their Festival programme is extraordinarily extensive, so calm before the storm makes sense, to allow the Traverse to prepare and to allow the audience to rest in readiness. I absolutely endorse your point that audiences need to learn and understand the various programming cycles of arts organisations, which are all different due to individual circumstances. Where I live, it has taken me several years to get a grip on this, and of course I still get thrown by the inevitable changes each year. I'd say the only outfit which ploughs on regardless of season at all times is the NT, but even there they usually have a big family show and a small children's show in the winter, limiting the rep for adults.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users