16 replies to this topic

#1 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Has anyone seen this new musical yet (currently playing at the Hackney Empire before it goes on tour)? If so, thoughts?

I am seeing it this weekend and was quite excited but Whatsonstage published a 2 star review today, yikes:

http://www.whatsonst...aby Street.html

I do like The Big Bang Theory...

#2 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Couple of my friends saw it recently, deeply unimpressed, one said it was the worst thing she has ever seen, oh dear
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#3 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Oh dear, indeed. Hackney is really out of the way for me too, but I already have my ticket... Choices, choices.

#4 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

I saw it last weekend. It was a bad start when the director made an announcement that the cast had worked so hard with no time off that they were ill and so some would be miming, sorry he said the vocals would be ghosted.

They should have cancelled the show.

Its very much in the Dreamboats and petticoats style, with even less care of how the songs are shoehorned in. At one point Paul Hazels character walks on and says ooo I know this one and launches into song.

There are some funny moments, Paul, Verity and Aaron were working very hard to make the best of the material they had, Verity was so underused though a real shame.

#5 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

I saw a few clips of this on bbc london or something & it didn't look promising, very like Dreamboats (I think some of the same creatives involved?)

Was going to give it a go but as turtle says, it's a bit of a schlep to Hackney & the reviews so far haven't been great.

#6 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I actually didn't mind Dreamboats and Petticoats (not much of a story, but the songs were fun) so I think I'll give it a shot :)

#7 Tina

Tina

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

My friend that didnt like it, actually loved Dreamboats, I hope it fairs better in time & you enjoy it
Chasing the music, trying to get home.......
Seeee ya George..... See ya sunshine.... w****nker!
I hate you! You're a b*stard! ..... Ohhhhhh sh*t!
I've seen the real world from my caravan window...... and they can keep it!

West End: - Jersey Boys x 178 - Billy Elliot x 52 - All The Fun Of The Fair x 40 - WWRY x 7 - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory x 6 - Rock Of Ages x 6 - Legally Blonde x 6 - Avenue Q x 5  -  Mamma Mia x 5 - Les Miserables x 3 - Oliver! x 3 - Dirty Dancing x 3 - Book Of Mormon x 2 - The Commitments x 2 - Blood Brothers x 2 - Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert x 2 - Dreamboats & Petticoats x 2 - The Fantasticks x 1 - Grease x 1 - Thriller: Live x 1 - Shout x 1 - Wet Weather Cover x 1 - The Woman In Black x 1 - Tap Dogs x 1 - Sister Act x 1 - Wicked x 1 - Hamlet x 1 - Flashdance x 1 - Love Never Dies x 1 - Shrek: The Musical x 1 - Ghost Stories x 1 - Lend Me A Tenor x 1 - Ghost: The Musical x 1 - Cool Hand Luke x 1 - Backbeat x 1 - Crazy For You x 1 - Singing In The Rain x 1 - Our Boys x 1 - Seussical x 1 - Tailor Made Man x 1 - Merrily We Roll Along x 1 - Once: The Musical x 1 - I Can't Sing x 1

Broadway: - Jersey Boys x 2 - Anything Goes x 1 - Priscilla QOTD x 1 - Memphis x 1 - Mary Poppins x 1

Off Broadway: - Rent x 1 - Avenue Q x 1

Fringe: - Bent x 2 - Bright Lights, Big City x 1 - Salad Days x 1 - Ordinary Days x 1 - Company x 1 - Thrill Me x 2 (1 x Tristan Bates, 1 x New Players/Charing X Theatre) - Jest End x 1 - Doctor Faustus x 1 - Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered x 1 - The Hothouse x 1

Tour: - Evita x 2 (Bromley) - Blood Brothers x 1 (Coventry) - Monkee Business x 1 (Manchester) - Jesus Christ Superstar (O2 London) x 1

Regional: - Sound Of Music (Stevenage) x 1 - Cinderella (Liverpool) x 1 - Aladdin (Milton Keynes) x 1 - Cinderella (Watford) x 1

#8 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Did anyone actually expect it to be any good?!

#9 Curtain Call

Curtain Call

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

Saw it today- first half uninspiring- I was distracted by picking holes in the costumes thinking- I didn't wear that in the sixties- but then they changed out of their  fifties skinny jeans and I had a twinge of nostalgia as one girl wore a button up miniskirt exactly like one I had. Whenever they "did" the twist I had an urge to run on stage and show them how to do it properly. The trouble was I felt they didn't capture the joy of the sixties music and they sang all the numbers in  one dimensional posh english articulated MT voices. The only time they actually sang as if they were enjoying themselves was the final reprise. It was odd that they kept mentioning the Beatles but never sang any songs- i am assuming because of copyright reasons- but they were such a part of the music in my home from 64 onwards( when this was set) that it was weird without them. The plot was weak, depressing and predictable- sadly. and meant it sucked the joy out of the songs and lowered the whole mood. I had assumed I would get the urge to get up / clap along  but I didn't. The woman next to me did in the second act- but I assume that was only due to her trip to the bar in the interval.  It was annoying that they encouraged everyone to get up and "dance" at the end- because it meant they got a undeserved "standing ovation".
They all had nice voices- but there was just something missing.
Beautiful theatre though- a bit gaudy but good sound and a good view from the stalls. Seats not very wide though- felt a bit hemmed in.
Cant wait for my next visit there to see Idina.

#10 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

I did end up seeing this today too and mostly agree with what you say, Curtain Call. I can't comment on the accuracy of the costumes as it's before my time but I did actually think they looked pretty neat.

Overal though the show was a poor copy of "Dreamboats and Petticoats" with a flimsy book that seemed to have been written for the sole purpose of tying an astonishing amount of 60s songs together, instead of the other way around. The second half was better than the first and elevated this from "meh" to "okay-ish" for me (I didn't walk out or fall asleep - bonus!). Aaron Sidwell and Matthew Wycliffe are too good for the show though.

Also, the newspaper guy was getting on my nerves so much! The "gag" was okay the first time it was used, but between every scene change? Geesh.

And I know this belongs in the bad behaviour thread but I had such an annoying person sitting next to me; texting, singing along from the first song, rustling with candy wrappers all throught he first act, "loud" whispering to friends, moving into my personal space repeatedly, etc. *sighs*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users