7 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Lots of fun. I think they will excavate the rest of this Lonsdale's work though he sounds to have been a bit of prat personally from the proggie note. Sort of sub Noel Coward.
Nice performances. Pity they couldn't afford really swish clothes for the gals who were supposed to be rolling in it. The coat had holes in it. But for a small space it was well presented and very well directed. A few ciggie fumblings. People who really smoked used to light up in a flash.

Thinking: seen really nice stuff at small venues recently: St James, The Print Room and now this at Jermyn St. Entertaining and heartfelt. Long time since I came out of the Olivier/Lyttleton thinking I had enjoyed myself. And it isn't the money.

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2088 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Good to hear, I'm seeing this in a week or so. How are the new seats?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

I enjoyed this too and judging by the laughter, the whole audience had a great time.  The seating has been reconfigured again for this production and a few people had issues with this yesterday, but staff were addressing these  as we left.  Bizarre thing for so small a space, too:  I had always assumed the loos would be similarly cramped and had avoided them, but now discover that they are (well, compared to the stage and auditorium) amazingly spacious.  Roomy enough even for site specific theatre, perhaps, but count me out in that case.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

How funny. I didn't risk the loo because I expected a cupboard. Nice to know it is ok. I sat in front row cos when I booked I asked for leg room. So close, nearly offered the cast a jelly baby.

#5 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

No accounting for taste, I know, but rather to my surprise and disappointment I have now read no fewer than 3 grudging or somewhat disparaging reviews on other websites or blogs.  Even allowing for a range of views, that seems rather a lot - and 100% of those I've seen so far, yet the reaction at the performance I attended seemed so wholeheartedly enthusiastic.  I do hope others are not deterred from going.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Yes I read Billington saying it was not up to much. He acknowledged the Coward link. I dunno what some critics see. Maybe they shoot out before the applause or just go with fixed ideas. We've debated this before haven't we?

#7 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:41 AM

Yes, we've said this before, but it's the first time I've noticed bloggers or those who review solely online being (a) unanimous and (B) negative.  Though no doubt it has happened; just not for something I've so recently seen and relished.

#8 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

And the Telegraph has panned it and rated it 2 stars.

Also tagged with Jermyn Street

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users