* * * * * 1 votes

What Are Your Favourite Musical Flops? Any Worth A Reinterpretation?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Whatsonstage.com

Whatsonstage.com

Global Moderator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7744 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hello all

Remember DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN? The book writer Peter Michael Marino has turned tragedy into new art with his new one-man play Desperately Seeking the Exit, based on his experiences during the making of the screen-to-stage jukebox musical. We interviewed him about it (watch out for that on the site next week), and he told us, amongst other things, that his success with the play has provoked interest in reviving the musical....

And that got us thinking: what other famous flops would people like to see again? Maybe all they need is a new interpretation?

We're posing the question to Forum users first, as you are, of course, the real experts! Let us know what you think and we'll open it up on the main website if we can come up with a compelling enought list.

Thanks in advance,

Terri Paddock
Whatsonstage.com

#2 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

http://www.whatsonst..._50#entry239290 this thread had some good ones!

#3 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Carrie
RENT (Flopped on the West End)
Spring Awakening (Again, West End Flop)
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#4 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Ooh and Lord Of the Rings! Kinda wish I had seen that!

Pippin flopped on the West End.

And I know it isn't really a Flop yet, and hasn't been to London, but Spiderman! and in that same category you could put Rebecca?
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#5 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Rent

This is begging to be on the West End!! Its a massive musical masterpiece that should run longer. I think it should take over Viva at Piccadilly personally.

Carrie

Though bad, I wouldnt mind seeing it just to say I have, so i say bring it back. Alot can be done now that couldnt be done then

Viva Forever!

Though yet known as a flop, it seems it could only run at most a year. Serious re-working needs to be done to be successful

#6 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Rent I would like to see done in a small venue like The Menier or Donmar. I never saw the remixed version done 5 years ago but I've heard it was dreadful,

Not sure if was a flop in London but I'd like to see Beauty and the Beast come back but maybe try and reinvent it so that it isn't a carbon copy of the film.

#7 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

All bobs women at the arts theatre was a collosal flop soon after Susan. Pete's show is brilliant by the way and well worth seeing for a fascinating view in to the west end. I'm not affiliated with him I just saw it in Edinburgh for free and was really happy about that!

Flops I'm interested in - Lestat, the pirate queen, dance of the vampires, Moby dick, Martin Guerre, batboy (even though it has a life in student productions), the beautiful game, lend me a tenor, gone with the wind, drowsy chaperone in UK. Didn't even get off the ground so technically not a flop but I'd give a right arm to see Jim Steinmans Batman musical! I'd also love to see the current broadway flop Hands on a Hardbody come over to the UK where I think it would do better!

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

Not strictly a flop, considering it ran at the Lane for over 900 performances, but I'd love to see a revival of Billy. It has a rather good score, based on a famous book, and i don't understand why it hasn't been done recently.

#9 D'James

D'James

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Oh yes. I loved Lend Me A Tenor. Would really like to see that again!

#10 dannyboyjohnson

dannyboyjohnson

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

Also, A Little Night Music and Lord Of The Rings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users