* * * * * 1 votes

What Are Your Favourite Musical Flops? Any Worth A Reinterpretation?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#11 Coggit

Coggit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Dance of the Vampires (Broadway). I'm a HUGE Tanz der Vampire fan. It was one of Broadway's biggest flops. I've seen a few bootlegs on YouTube and I just love it for what it was. The problem is that I don't see how it could work as a serious musical (like the original) in the UK or USA. The moment the melody for "Total Eclipse" started, the entire audience bursts into laughter already expecting it to be a comedy before it even begins. Although Crawford was a HUGE miscast... he represents nothing of what Krolock should be so taking aside the ridiculous script alterations, Crawford already gaurenteed a flop, really.
2013 Theatre
[West End] Shrek****, The Phantom of the Opera***, Spamalot****,The Phantom of the Opera*****, Viva Forever*, Jersey Boys****, This House***, The Book of Mormon*****, Marinda Sings Live! ***** (Booked for: Stephen Ward, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
[UK Tour] The Phantom of the Opera*****, Rocky Horror Show***, Hairspray****, The 39 Steps**, The Mousetrap***, Starlight Express****, Rocky Horror Show****

#12 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

I loved Lend Me A Tenor & was really sorry it closed so soon. Not sure if/how it could be reinterpreted to make it more successful though. I can't really imagine it working any better done on a smaller scale.

I wish Pirate Queen had made it to the West End as the music sounds lovely on the cast recording. Not having seen it I don't know why it didn't work on stage.

#13 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

oh The Pirate Queen - some of the music is great but what the heck are they doing to Queen Elizabeth? Talk about panto! Yes Carrie, and I have fond memories of the bizarre experience that was Metropolis - some great score and Brian Blessed blowing up, twice on a Saturday.

#14 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Matador - saw it in 1991, would love to see it back in the West End.

#15 Mathew

Mathew

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'd love to see Lend me a Tenor again too.  I'd love to see Love Story again too

#16 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

The Stripper - Much better than Richard O'Brien's famous stable mate IMO

Betty Blue Eyes should have much more successful - brilliant show.

Backbeat - probably too much of a play to succeed when most folk went for the music.
I can't think out of the box as I don't have a box to start with.

#17 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Imagine This - I seem to be one of the only people who enjpyed this, wasn't perfect but could be improved, moving story and some nice music.

Marguertie - As above, think some of the songs were great, liked the story, loved the cast, with tweaks I think it could be a great show, gorgeous music, though I know it was revived last year I didnt see it

Martin Guerre - Saw the musician-actor version of this and really liked it

#18 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

I saw both versions of Marguerite and, alas, it's a hopeless case.  Michel Legrande's score is absolutely wonderful but the book is unsalvageable.  Just listen to the OCR.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#19 Dawnstar

Dawnstar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

^ Agreed. Unfortunately I found the rewritten version created more plot problems than it solved. When I saw it at the Tabard last year I was reminded of the Morecombe & Wise line about "all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order" - except it wasn't all the notes because, goodness only knows why, "What's Left Of Love" was cut (a decision only exceeded in daftness by giving "Dreams, Shining Dreams" to Georges). Marguerite is one of my most-played cast recordings but just doesn't seem to work very well on stage.

#20 Tettekete

Tettekete

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and travel

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 14 April 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

All bobs women at the arts theatre was a collosal flop soon after Susan. Pete's show is brilliant by the way and well worth seeing for a fascinating view in to the west end. I'm not affiliated with him I just saw it in Edinburgh for free and was really happy about that!

Flops I'm interested in - Lestat, the pirate queen, dance of the vampires, Moby dick, Martin Guerre, batboy (even though it has a life in student productions), the beautiful game, lend me a tenor, gone with the wind, drowsy chaperone in UK. Didn't even get off the ground so technically not a flop but I'd give a right arm to see Jim Steinmans Batman musical! I'd also love to see the current broadway flop Hands on a Hardbody come over to the UK where I think it would do better!

I'd love to see Dance of the Vampires over here, but only if it was like the German/Austrian version (Tanz der Vampire) which is an amazing show!
Seen (theatre): Once (London x 2), Wicked (Scheveningen, The Netherlands x6), Wicked (London x 22), We Will Rock You (London x3), Les Miserables (London x 1), The Phantom of the Opera (London x1), Rock of Ages (London x 1), Romeo et Juliette (Takarazuka Revue, Japan x 5), Studio54 (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), For Whom The Bell Tolls (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x1), Nova Bossa Nova/Meguriai wa Futatabi (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x2), Nijinsky (Takarazuka Revue, Japan, x3), 9 to 5: The Musical (UK Tour, Sunderland x1), RENT in Concert (Newcastle x1), Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour, Sunderland x 1)

Seen (concerts, etc): Willemijn Verkaik "As I Am" solo concert at the AFAS Circustheater (2012), West End Eurovision 2013, Rachel Tucker at the St James Theatre studio, Scott Alan at the O2, Andrew Lippa at the St James Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users