* * * * * 1 votes

What Are Your Favourite Musical Flops? Any Worth A Reinterpretation?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 robg

robg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

must admit some of my favourite shows have not been a critical success and if i had listened to the critics i would have missed some great theatre . i would love to see

lend me a tenor : saw this before it closed really great show very high production values deserved to do better

The Rink : saw it at coventry Belgrade few years back a great Kander &Ebb musical really moving heartwarming and funny show  great huge songs too

drowsey chaperone : wonderful show saw west end version & upstairs at gate house both completley different but both stunning in there own way , i think a touring version would do well

the goodbye girl : saw this west end version and loved it shame didnt do well ... but then went on to tour  extensively  and sold out in birmingham & coventry deserves a new production .

Hard Times : got panned by critics but i really enjoyed it

love never dies : glad its touring next year i LOVE the score  story a bit mish mash but ALW  best score in my opinion .

SUNSET BOULEVARD : LOVE LOVE LOVE  does depend on the Norma though but deserves a new production was disapointed  craig RH  stripped back version didint tour Katherine Evens was AMAZING !

#42 sahunt

sahunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Robin Hood. There have been some adaptations but none have done well. Surely there is a story in there...
I agree with Beauty and the Beast back in the west end with improvements.

Others would be

Disney's Tarzan
Disney's The Little Mermaid
Summer Holiday ( flop?)
Martin Guerre
Spring Awakening
The Witches Of Eastwick
The Beautiful Game/ Boys In The Photograph
By Jeeves.

#43 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

View Postrobg, on 22 April 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

the goodbye girl : saw this west end version and loved it shame didnt do well ... but then went on to tour  extensively  and sold out in birmingham & coventry deserves a new production .

Hard Times : got panned by critics but i really enjoyed it

I loved both of those, and especially the latter. Hard Times really struggled to get anyone through the door at all, which was surprising because there was nothing about it that screamed "avoid me at all costs" and it seemed to go down exceptionally well with those who did buy tickets. (It's also one of the few shows that ended up as a framed poster in my house.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#44 robg

robg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostMatthew Winn, on 22 April 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

I loved both of those, and especially the latter. Hard Times really struggled to get anyone through the door at all, which was surprising because there was nothing about it that screamed "avoid me at all costs" and it seemed to go down exceptionally well with those who did buy tickets. (It's also one of the few shows that ended up as a framed poster in my house.)

i agree  i enjoyed hard times greatly , it did deserve to do better  i have the mini cd  and still play it , it didnt deserve the awful press it got , ive seen much worse that has run for a year or so :) lol

#45 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

What was that vehicle for Cliff Richard? Time??

I never saw it but it sounded fabulously bad :0)

#46 GerardMawn

GerardMawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

Was Lord Of The Rings a flop?  I saw it twice a year a part and I live in NYC.  It was great the first time and better the second.

I want to see a revival of Jesus Hopped the A Train.  That was an amazing show that was poorly produced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users