15 replies to this topic

#11 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Yes - Poppy Tierney was in the UK Tour as Jane (the cello playing lady). She plays Alex this time.  Ross William Wild was fine - he plays Michael Spofford, which is one of the smaller roles. He has a few duets with Jennifer.
No flying using a rig - I doubt that is possible in the space.  I honestly thought they would just leave out any mention of flying, but they do "fly" in a different way which I thought was nicely handled given the tiny scale of this show.

#12 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Just booked for this next week, quite excited to see what it's like, only seen amdram production. Went to the Watermill once before to see Martin Guerre, it's a really great venue so looking forward to seeing how they use the space

#13 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Went to see this last night, thought it was absolutely excellent. I didn't really know what to expect, I think I said previously saw it once at an amateur theatre and just thought it was okay and not that familiar with the music. Blown away last night, the set was incredible and really put some clunky west end and tour sets to shame. Shows what you can do simply, but effectively in such a small space.

Cast were all fantastic, it is so nice to be sat so close to them. Three witches voices were excellent and some great harmonies in Make Him Mine. Alex Bourne brilliant as Daryl. I know some people don't like actor musician shows, only my second time seeing one, but though it worked so well here, I didn't really think about musicians being on stage it just fitted in so well. Whole cast were excellent actually, they work so hard acting, singing, dancing, playing music and moving the set around.

I'm listening to the cast recording now, do quite like it actually, though slightly different to the version at Watermill. If anyone is thinking about going it has sold really well from what I can tell but I got cheapest seats, £16 sat in circle slip looking over stage so have to lean forward but really not a problem for such a low price.

Theatre is such a gem, drove 2 hours to get there but worth it. To anyone that hasn't been it is set in beautiful grounds and I ate in the restuant before, great food. Option of buffet starters (£6.50) or hot main course or larger buffet plate (£11) and deserts (£4.50) would really recommend it.

It's a shame it's quite far for me to go as wish I had chance to see some of their other shows!

#14 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Not seen their production of Witches, but did see Sunset Blvd a few years back.  We stayed in a local hotel so had time to eat in the Watermill restaurant after the show.  Can't recommend the experience of seeing a show and enjoying a meal there highly enough.  Great location, great atmosphere.

#15 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Never eaten there before, but have booked a place at the restaurant before my matinee.
I agree, it's an utterly delightful venue- the ducks, river, everything. And if you go to a midweek matinee, the audience is even older than Chichester!

#16 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hope you enjoy it, it's nice as can either sit in the old part with beamed ceilings or outside if warm. Drinks and ice cream nor overpriced as I thought they might have been. Agree about average age, most people were rather posh! Very friendly atmosphere though, quite a few people in audience spoke to us, we gave a, I think well deserved, standing ovation at the end but most people didn't, maybe their age of maybe it isn't the done thing there :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users