#21 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

View PostReich, on 31 July 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

isn't SoM the musical equivalent of  Midsummer Nights Dream, Nutcracker and Carmen? a guaranteed bums on seats cash cow. Which they may need in these financially gloomy times. So many theatres are holding back on employing Katie Mitchell to set something in  a dilapidated country house and instead staging Boheme, Barnum and Brigadoon with billyo!

Although I'm slightly missing those lovely grey dilapidated country houses at the NT...  I'd love to see KM do Medea.

#22 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostReich, on 31 July 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

isn't SoM the musical equivalent of  Midsummer Nights Dream, Nutcracker and Carmen? a guaranteed bums on seats cash cow. Which they may need in these financially gloomy times. So many theatres are holding back on employing Katie Mitchell to set something in  a dilapidated country house and instead staging Boheme, Barnum and Brigadoon with billyo!

The whole season is "bums on seats cash cows" this year, after last year's terrible weather and lukewarm reception of productions.  A musical beloved by all ages and two book adaptations (one of which is a GCSE set text and the other a classic summer story), all of which are absolutely the safest of safe choices.

If it makes them money then fine, but there hasn't really been anything on offer this year that has made me want to take the trip to Regent's Park.  Ragtime was misconceived, but it was at least an exciting idea!

#23 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

I really enjoyed Sound of Music. The staging was basic, but the songs were well sung and it had a good energy for a preview. Was sold out as well.

#24 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

View Postzahidf, on 01 August 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

I really enjoyed Sound of Music. The staging was basic, but the songs were well sung and it had a good energy for a preview. Was sold out as well.

I was thinking about that on the way home … My fair lady you can really bring out its feminist credentials or West Side Story set in present day inner city London or Oklahoma, make Judd to be some really crazy in the woods that the Daily Mail would report on but SoM? you could give it some flashy revolving set that lights up but it would be so incongruent to the piece as its charm lies in its simplicity.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#25 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Really good reviews for this. It got rained off when we went last Saturday, so praying for fine weather this weekend for our second chance.

Charles Spencer "the finest production that I have ever seen" (presumably he means of SoM) 5 stars http://www.telegraph...ark-review.html
Evening Standard " a sure-fire hit" 4 stars http://www.standard....ew-8747731.html
Independent "Recommended" and a review that reads like a 4 star, but actaully has 3 stars above it http://www.independe...ic-8748011.html
Lovely review from Mark Shenton in The Stage http://www.thestage....-sound-of-music
www.frontrowdress.com

#26 munderwood09

munderwood09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Does anyone know the full list of understudies for this production?

#27 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postmunderwood09, on 06 August 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Does anyone know the full list of understudies for this production?

Kimberly Blake - Sister Sophia/Baroness Elberfeld
Helen Colby - Sisyer Berthe/Margaretta
Nadine Cox - Frau Schmidt
Samuel Edwards - Rolf Gruber
Christopher D Hunt - Captain von Trapp
Stuart Matthew Price - Admiral von Schreiber/Herr Zeller
Harry Morrison - Max Detweiler/Baron Elberfeld/Franz
Laura Pick - Maria Rainer
Anna Simmons - Liesl/Ursula/New postulant
Helen Walsh - Mother Abbess
Chloe Taylor - Elsa Schraeder

#28 GasAttacK

GasAttacK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Features the wonderful Faye Brookes - who played Elle Woods on the Legally Blonde Tour - as Liesl.

Looking forward to seeing the show later this month. I've read about 12 reviews online and all rate it very highly, either 4/5 or 5/5.

Just hoping for a dry day.

#29 biscuit

biscuit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

GasAttack is Faye Brookes agent so expect nothing less than glowing reviews. although he is yet to see the production!  In the reviews I've read Faye Brookes is hardly mentioned!

#30 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostReich, on 01 August 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

West Side Story set in present day inner city London

Going a bit off topic... But... I have been wanting someone to update West Side Story since Trevor Nunn was at the National. I think it would be a great show to update to current gang cultures. Would also love to see it done with modern lighting, a great set and someone like Matthew Bourne or Stephen Daldry on dance duties. It is a great show, but they keep doing the same old boring production that's really dated now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users