41 replies to this topic

#11 tsaurus

tsaurus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

Henry Goodman in almost everything but particularly 'The Birthday Party' and 'Richard III' - roles that it is almost impossible to make dull, but Henry succeeded.  

For whole productions that were a let down, the RSC had a bumper crop last year - 'Romeo and Juliet' and execrable 'Merry Wives' stood out as being almost completely without merit.

#12 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:10 PM

Having admired Tim Firth's work, both on-stage and on television for many years, I totally failed to connect with "Our House", and whilst it was far from the worst production of recent times, it was possibly the biggest disappointment.

Patrick Stewart. Johnson Over Jordan. West Yorks Playhouse. There is a reason why this play is rarely revived.

And at the same theatre, an all star cast in Horse Over Carriage, a Feydeau farce, was quite painfully unfunny. Which is a bit of a handicap in a farce.  angry.gif
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#13 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(tsaurus @ Mar 16 2007, 05:58 PM) View Post
Henry Goodman in almost everything but particularly 'The Birthday Party' and 'Richard III' - roles that it is almost impossible to make dull, but Henry succeeded.  

For whole productions that were a let down, the RSC had a bumper crop last year - 'Romeo and Juliet' and execrable 'Merry Wives' stood out as being almost completely without merit.

Why would someone continue to be a let-down? I can understand if you don't admire Henry Goodman as much as others do but if you'd seen him a couple of times and didn't like him, why would you continue to expect fantastic performances out of him. I don't rate Eve Best in the way many critics do but I've got over my disappointment at what I regard as mediocre performances from her so i wasn't surprised at being underwhelmed by Moon for the Misbegotten.

#14 richard

richard

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

angry.gif
QUOTE(armadillo @ Mar 16 2007, 08:24 PM) View Post
Why would someone continue to be a let-down? I can understand if you don't admire Henry Goodman as much as others do but if you'd seen him a couple of times and didn't like him, why would you continue to expect fantastic performances out of him. I don't rate Eve Best in the way many critics do but I've got over my disappointment at what I regard as mediocre performances from her so i wasn't surprised at being underwhelmed by Moon for the Misbegotten.

The worst Henry Goodman performance recently is on the Hallé Orchestra's recording under Mark Elder of the Complete Music for the Wasps by Vaughan Williams (not just the familiar overture).  A fascinating musical experience is completely ruined by his quite appalling delivery of the words.
Oh, and there was that dreadful appearance in an episode of Foyle's War.  He is in the ENO's forthcoming second series of performances of the Gondoliers, so be warned.

#15 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

Eve Best. I agree. Very poor.

Did anyone really expect the RSC"Merry Wives" to be any good ? Not really a let down.

Henry Goodman has played RIII twice hasn't he - didn't he understudy A.Sher in the famous (but poor) RSC production many years ago, and got to play the role a few times when Sher broke his leg or something ? Anyway, H.Goodman was excellent as Shylock so, unlike Eve Best, has actually been good in at least one thing.

#16 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

But if you know you don't like him, you're not being let down. It's like being surprised at your 30th Trevor Nunn play that you're still in the theatre at 10.30pm. You don't really have the right to complain because you know what you're letting yourself in for.

For the record, I do like Henry Goodman, especially in musicals.

#17 thecrucible

thecrucible

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:14 PM

I don't think Henry Goodman was connected to the Antony Sher Richard III in any way. Certainly Antony Sher didn't break his leg during that run (he snapped his Achilles Tendon during King Lear the previous season but his understudy then was Ian Talbot).

I can't think of any personal major disappointments but I am going to see Ian McKellen in Lear at the end of the month and have very high expectations (coupled with a slight concern over whether he's a natural Lear) so am scared of being disappointed in that one.

#18 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

Richard Griffiths in Equus.

#19 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

Cabaret - the latest West End version. In spite of having some excellent performers it was ghastly.

The Royal Hunt Of The Sun - a dreary, overlong and over-rated play, and what a terrible production at the NT.

My Fair Lady - not just because of Martine, who was just about allright, but it was such a poor production, with ugly sets and costumes and inappropriate and dated choreography.

Once In A Lifetime - it was like watching a musical without the musical numbers. What there was turned out to be dire. The humour seemed very laboured. It really was not worth reviving such an old warhorse.

#20 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:19 AM

Too many to mention, but a recent one must be the sight of a high quality cast totally at sea in David Lan's wretched Soldier's Fortune. Going back a little further, I had such high hopes of Alex Jennings in another Restoration comedy, The Relapse, when Trev did that in the Olivier. A dark hour for both actor and director. As a result of these two horrors, I reckon I'm now off Restoration comedy for life.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users