11 replies to this topic

#1 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

Has anyone else seen this yet? It's a lovely production, really heartwarming and witty, and with the most tender on-stage kiss I've ever seen!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#2 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

I haven't seen it, Deal J, but have been curious to see it ever since reading about his praise for it as a breath of fresh air and thing of beauty in Dominic Dromgoole's quirky and very opinionated The Full Room: An A-Z of Contemporary Playwriting some years ago. This latest production, I have noticed without looking, has had a couple of positive reviews.

#3 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostEl Peter, on 18 April 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

This latest production, I have noticed without looking, has had a couple of positive reviews.

Braille?

I was lucky enough to see it in the Bush, which was a perfect theatre for it, with an unknown Jonny Lee Miller as Ste. The film, directed by Hettie Macdonald and with Linda Henry as the mum and Tameka Empson as the neighbour, is excellent too. It's one of the Abu-Hamza-handful of films I can watch and enjoy again and again.

#4 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

On the website, when you are booking tickets, it asks you if you want to buy any 'extras' - poster, playtext, and souvenir brochure, the latter of which is £10. Is this the programme, or is this a glossy thing full of pictures and the actual programme is more reasonably priced?

#5 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Given the list you provide, 'souvenir brochure' seems the closest thing to a programme on it. £10 is a steep price for that kind of thing and what does it contain to justify that price? It could be that the play text is better value and often during theatre runs of plays the texts get sold at much reduced price.

#6 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Saw 20th anniversary production of Beautiful Thing tonight. I wondered if the play would stand the test of time. Good news, it does, brilliantly. Some younger audience members might wonder at some of the references (Bob's Full House, Wincey Willis, The Gloucester!!.....) but looking at tonight's crowd, we were mostly of a certain vintage so no problem for us. I laughed & I cried as I did all those years ago even if I've long since lost the naivety that Jamie & Ste have in the play. It was, is & will always be Jonathan Harvey's masterpiece.    

If you want a treat, go & see this play, it's truly life affirming :-)    

#7 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Went to see this last night in Leeds and all I can say is wow, never seen the play before and also never seen the film (although I intend to ASAP), brilliant acting, moving but also very funny, absolutely loved it.

#8 kevinyork

kevinyork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I saw the film 14 years ago and view it several times a year as its a favourite of mine.  I was worried the play would not live up to it.  Went to see it this week in Leeds on its short tour following its run at the Arts Theatre.  I was blown away.  Just 5 actors present a superbly touching, heartwarming, very sad and incredibly funny story.  Ive seen Suranne Jones before on stage and she left me cold.  Here she steps out of her normal peronas and portrays Sandra really well.  The casting oif the two boys is spot on.  Danny-Boy Hatchard who plays Ste makes it impossible not to fall for him, such a perfect performance.    It was so good I went again for the Saturday matinee.  It only has one week on tour left, in Brighton next week, so see it if you can.

#9 WrightWrites

WrightWrites

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

There's an announcement being made tomorrow at 2pm... Clue on facebook says that 'People all over the world will be able to enjoy this "beautiful" present as well.'

My guess is that they're doing a NT Live like event with it. If that's the case then that'll be awesome as I loved the production in London.

#10 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostWrightWrites, on 16 June 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

There's an announcement being made tomorrow at 2pm... Clue on facebook says that 'People all over the world will be able to enjoy this "beautiful" present as well.'

My guess is that they're doing a NT Live like event with it. If that's the case then that'll be awesome as I loved the production in London.
The show will be available for download through Digital Theatre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users