#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 18 April 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

So, what's Table like? Worth seeing? The 8pm start time, with a running time of 2hr25 is off putting. I have one matinee slot.... should I go?

It depends... If you want to experience this temporary venue's promised innovative and buzzing theatre for the dawn of a new generation, etc., etc., then I'd recommend giving this a firm miss. If you primarily like to see your favourite actors and it so chances that one or more of them is in this, then you'd probably find it a pleasurable experience. It struck me as a more-than-decent, well-acted production of a bog-standard new play which the NT thought it might as well put on because it had spent nearly three years workshopping it and it would be a waste to just write-off that investment. There's nothing wrong with it but not much special either. The newspaper critics' reviews (mainly awarding three stars) have all been generous, benignly noticing the better aspects, probably because they want to support the venture of the Shed, looking forward to its full programme over this forthcoming year.

#2 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yes, I agree with HG - the piece is nothing special despite Rufus Norris's best efforts.  The first act worked better for me in that it's livelier and the scenes are more concentrated.  But it bogged down in act two with a patience-trying hippy commune scene and an endless, unilluminating domestic dispute full of information we already had.  It also features a LOT of scenes with adult actors playing children - never a good idea.

The cast tries hard and are generally fine although I had a problem with some of  Paul Hilton's overwrought moments.   On the plus side Rosalie Craig is her usual gorgeous and wonderful self and, at the end of act one, I got to see more of her than I ever could have hope for.

As to The Shed, it's a great space but on a warm night it was positively stifling in there.  I hope they're thinking about air conditioning.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#3 CAA

CAA

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

Interestingly I didn't like Act one as much as Act 2.  And as Act 2 went on I realised that Act 1 did help to set up Act Two.  I agree it all got bogged down with the hippy's but did lead to the most dramatic action in the play apart from Rosalie Craig's nude scene.

#4 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostCAA, on 25 April 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Interestingly I didn't like Act one as much as Act 2.  And as Act 2 went on I realised that Act 1 did help to set up Act Two.  I agree it all got bogged down with the hippy's but did lead to the most dramatic action in the play apart from Rosalie Craig's nude scene.

I talked to a number of people after the play and they all agreed with you, CAA.  They preferred act two and liked the long confrontation scene. My take on it may be partially explained by my reaction to Paul Hilton's performance -  his character(s) dominate the second act.  Not saying he wasn't good - just that I didn't respond to him.

#5 CAA

CAA

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Mallardo, without delving into the plot too much, I think I know what you mean qbout Act 2 namely there seems to be a missing scene involving the Hunter and the mother, why did the hunter abandon his son, why didn't the son visit his father?

#6 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Right, and since the mother was Rosalie Craig we definitely wanted more of her!

#7 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

I never like adult actors playing children, but as for the commune scene, that was not only my favourite of the entire play but seemed to go down particularly well with the audience when I saw this yesterday.  And the performance was sold out, or all but, so I think this is something people enjoy for what it is and which has perhaps had good word of mouth?.  I agree that the production was probably better than the material but as that made it a worthwhile experience overall, it was a good thing in this case.  Great value for me, too, as I had no choice but to book a restricted view ticket (why oh why does the NT persist in not providing a seating plan for its smallest venue?), but it turned out to have a completely clear view.  Mystery, but a bonus!

Also tagged with The Shed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users