Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

This show is getting great press coverage

#82 Pianoman1980

Pianoman1980

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Saw it on Saturday. Great show with a very talented cast and band. The first 18 minutes is just musical theatre bliss.

#83 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3374 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

With barnum now not transferring I think the odds of a transfer of this has grown a bit more

#84 Mathew

Mathew

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

I really hope it transfers - loved it when I saw it and would love to see it again!

#85 gazzaw13

gazzaw13

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Seem to be in a real minority here but I didn't enjoy this at all.  I agree that the staging was clever and the performances fine (with one notable exception) but I want to be moved and entertained by a musical.  The ensemble nature of the show is both a strength and weakness.  The weakness is a lack of focus on one or two central characters who we can identify with.  When this was announced as a Thom Sutherland production at the Southwark Playhouse I was sure that Laura Pitt-Pulford would be playing the lead.  She would have been wasted in this.

#86 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

I saw this last week and am going again this week. I absolutely loved it. Then again, I've loved the show since I saw it on Broadway. I felt it worked far better in the smaller space and the cast/orchestra are one of the best in London at the moment. It sounds fantastic.

Much as I love it and would certainly go see it if it transferred, I can't see where it would transfer to. The West End is full of musicals based on movies, but I don't think people would pay £60+ for a ticket to rush to see this. Especially if travelling from outside London with all the added costs. So, I think the producers would find it hard to profitably do the transfer. Unless they budget at £30 for top price tickets and have offers everywhere like the Chocolate Factory seemed to do with Merrily. Maybe the Arts of Charing Cross theatre will take it for a limited run, although I don't think it would work as well on a traditional proscenium stage.

I certainly wish the show and everyone involved all the best and am looking forward to my second visit.

#87 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

Dont think the signs are there for it to be transferred. Hearing cast members going off to other things..

#88 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Whilst the production is good, the book is utter tosh.  Far too many characters and you can tell it's written for an American audience.  Shame really, as it could make a wonderful musical!

Loved the band, though!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#89 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

View Posthotshot, on 19 August 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Dont think the signs are there for it to be transferred. Hearing cast members going off to other things..

Also it's not been a sell out at the Playhouse. Tickets are still readily available (unlike, say, The Color Purple).

#90 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 19 August 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Whilst the production is good, the book is utter tosh.  Far too many characters and you can tell it's written for an American audience.  Shame really, as it could make a wonderful musical!

Loved the band, though!
Totally agree with you and gazzaw13. It's a brilliant production of a so-so show. Enjoyed this much more than the original Broadway production, though.

Loved the new Playhouse space but not a great location.
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users