Why is the Royal Court's "Seagull" not transferring?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

It's got stars, it's got starred reviews....

There were whispers before it even opened. How is it not transferring?

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

Probably you have answered your own question "It's got stars" - probably they have things they'd prefer to do, like make a poor film instead. It always surprises me that some actors who come over all po-faced and precious about the "integrity" of their theatre work will drop everything to appear in any old crap on TV or on film. eg. Fiona Shaw.

#3 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:08 PM

Probably because outside of the cliched coterie that makes up the Court audience it wouldn't survive more than a couple of weeks.

#4 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 16 2007, 06:12 PM) View Post
Probably you have answered your own question "It's got stars" - probably they have things they'd prefer to do, like make a poor film instead. It always surprises me that some actors who come over all po-faced and precious about the "integrity" of their theatre work will drop everything to appear in any old crap on TV or on film. eg. Fiona Shaw.

i meant the producers not the actors...

#5 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(Amo @ Mar 16 2007, 02:29 PM) View Post
It's got stars, it's got starred reviews....

There were whispers before it even opened. How is it not transferring?

In today's Evening Standard Christopher Hampton says it is not transferring because Kristin Scott Thomas wants to go back to her kids in Paris, but they hope to revive the production in New York at some point.

I'm seeing it tomorrow, my first time ever at the Royal Court, and I'm very excited - it's one of my favourite plays.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#6 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

Couldn't she keep her mobile in her pocket, set on vibrate, so if there was a problem with her kids they could contact her on stage ?

#7 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:40 AM

Then every time Mackenzie Crook started to speak she could say 'sorry emergency gotta go'.

#8 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 17 2007, 08:35 AM) View Post
Couldn't she keep her mobile in her pocket, set on vibrate, so if there was a problem with her kids they could contact her on stage ?

That made me laugh. A lot. Thankyou.

#9 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:44 AM

Well, I saw it this afternoon. I was quite disappointed. I love the play, and was looking forward to it, but was completely unmoved. Thought Mackenzie Crook was one-note and flat,  I don't know what part Chiwetel Ejiofor was playing but it wasn't Trigorin, Carey Mulligan was quite good but was apparently directed to behave as if Nina's 'a bit upset' in act four. I don't know. I liked the production at the NT last year much much more.

Also, I've never been to the Royal Court before - the hot hot hot hot theatre and the badly behaved, inconsiderate audience didn't make me eager to return.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#10 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:53 AM

I've posted my comments on the production in the Anna Madeley thread but I have to say I totally agree with you about the heat.  If they were handing out awards for hot and stuffy the Royal Court would win hands down.  I noticed that the actors were dripping from minutes in and I think I drank about two litres of water in the interval!  And talking of stuffy, the audience indeed sucks big time.  It's rare for me to make a trip to the Royal Court which is a shame as the shows can be worth seeing and the tickets are among the cheapest in town but there are limits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users