• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 BinkyB

BinkyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

What can I say! I saw this back in 1951! Tremendous play! Hats off to The New Actors Company and Southwark Playhouse for digging this one out!
Can not wait to see it!
Did anyone else see The Moment of Truth at the Adelphi? - I think?
I think there was a TV showing with Ustinov in it? Anyone remember that?
Thoughts on this revival?
For me... I booked my ticket and can not wait!!
BinkyB

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2099 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

I'm tempted by this one - know nothing about the play though!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostBinkyB, on 20 April 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

What can I say! I saw this back in 1951! Tremendous play! Hats off to The New Actors Company and Southwark Playhouse for digging this one out!
Can not wait to see it!
Did anyone else see The Moment of Truth at the Adelphi? - I think?
I think there was a TV showing with Ustinov in it? Anyone remember that?
Thoughts on this revival?
For me... I booked my ticket and can not wait!!
BinkyB
I'm intrigued - you have been going to the theatre for more than 60 years. What made you join the forum just in order to talk about this play?

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

We have the power. ;-))

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostLynette, on 21 April 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

We have the power. ;-))
  Hmmm... <_<

#6 BinkyB

BinkyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

I am not a big theatre goer, but a very big Ustinov fan - rather excessively so according to my family!
My carer writes for me, as I am not computer literate in the least. I came on here to see what others thoughts are on Ustinov and this play - my carer found this site and signed me up! Looks like fun! Lots of interesting work and people.
If anyone has a copy of the recording in 1955 of this play - with Ustinov in it, I would be most interested in aquiring a copy of it.
Many thanks

#7 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2099 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

The Catholic Herald preferred the TV version to the stage version - http://archive.catho...ent-for-ustinov

It may not still exist, although it seems to have been shown in the USA which increases its chances of survival

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#8 roomin8

roomin8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

BinkyB how fantastic that you saw the original production, it would be brilliant to hear how it compares to the originial once you've seen the production at the Southwark! I saw this post when I was researching for something else and have joined just to leave this comment. I work in theatre and can't tell you how heartening it is that there are people like yourself who remember great performances and actively seek out revivals of brilliant work. hope you enjoy the production at the Southwark!

#9 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Here is a link which I always find helpful in a thread:

http://southwarkplay...oment-of-truth/

Can a mod add in the location to the title or is that not a power you guys have any more?  I would have probably have come into this thread sooner if I knew it was about a SP show.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#10 BinkyB

BinkyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Thank you xanderl for your link about the Catholic Herald, a very interesting read, I shall attempt to make contact and see perhaps if they recorded that show - fingers crossed! It is do saddening that the BBC burnt all the originals of so many shows and programmes - thoughtless.

Roomin8 - Thank you for your kind words, they are very touching, though I am nothing like these other folk on here. I'm just very old! When you get to my age, I'm sure you will have a lot to talk and share about as you are actively involved. I don't actively seek revivals, but keep an eye out on my favourites like Ustinov. It is astonishing that it had taken so long for any of his plays to be professionally revived - I did see an amateur production in Havant of The Love of Four Colonels - hilarious show! What is it you do in the theatre? I shall of course report my thoughts and comparisons! My son bought me a copy of the play online, so I shall have a good read of that soon!

Dude 1981 I'm afraid my carer and I are at a loss with your request. Though it would be helpful to put a link with the title. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

What are other peoples thoughts on Ustinov and this revival? - keen To know what a younger generation (or two, possibly three!) think...

My best to you all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users