36 replies to this topic

#21 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Ginny Weasley (aka Bonnie Wright) is in this.

#22 BinkyB

BinkyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Well, well, well....This is interesting and very exciting now!

I finished the play and it really brought me back all those moons ago.
Interesting choices in cast, I may say. Bonnie Wright I was not aware of, though my carer and my grandchildren have pointed her out several times now. Even in yesterday's Evening Standard!
It is a challenging role to say the least, but I am sure she will do well and bring in that young crowd that theatre plays like this desperately need. A clever move and one that I hope will encourage the youngsters to go often, rather than the once for a signature.

Rodney Bewes as The Marshal, I am sure will brilliant - I am a fan of his (Very pleased to see 'Likely Lads' back on the BBC) and love his work. A great assest who I am sure will give a lot of experience and advice to the younger cast memebers.

The other cast I am not familiar with, but did my research on a certain 'Miles Richardson' who is in the cast...
He just so happens to be the son of the great Ian Richardson and Miles himself has done A LOT of work with the RSC it seems, one of which I got the rare privilege to see (It is lovely when this happens! Though I had to dig out my programmes!)
Miles was in Henry V as Duke of Exeter and I remember him having a wondeful stage presence, very charasmatic - had no idea at the time he was the son of Ian. Looking at the cast and who they will play, I am taking an educated guess that Miles will be The Prime Minister - and what a part he has. I can imagine him enjoying this one.... Any actor would and the part does need someone with that 'little something' to really it going.

Considering to buy another ticket now for later on in the run...

What are others thoughts and feelings on this?

#23 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'm going to book for this I think. By chance, I came across that they're doing Thursday mats for this, something they don't usually do at the Southwark Playhouse, and I've got a free slot, so this will be it. Not that I'm tempted by the casting of Bonnie Wright..........

#24 BinkyB

BinkyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

I went to see the first preview on Wednesday....

What a show! Tremendous cast, set, costume and as I have always known, a great play. Cut well so that it runs smoothly and doesn't seem its 'Shavian' self.
A lovely theatre, complemented by the great set and scenary.
The cast are fantastic. Richardson leads the cast well with his cynical Prime Minister and a great supporting cast, with the very funny Mark Carey as the Foreign Minister.
Bonnie does a good job, not a easy role to play, but she does it with relish and compiments a great cast. Then there is Rodney Bewes. The Marshal. A wonderful performance, a wonderful bit of casting to put a 'comedy actor' in the role, it really gives the tragedy some deep meaning and get a lot of laughs on the way!

I can not fault any of the actors, they were brilliant, all of them.

This is a great show, get down there and see it! I'll be up again for the matinee on Saturday for the Q&A!

Enjoy

#25 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Saw this yesterday afternoon. There were fifteen of us there. Yes, fifteen, out of a possible 240. One of which was Matthew Kelly. That's less than double the number in the cast.  And I was the youngest by a good 40 years. Felt terribly sorry for the cast, esp at the curtain call. It's played out on a thrust, and they turned to the right to bow, only to find no one sitting there. So they quickly hurried off.

It's an odd play; starts off as political satire and slowly fades into a sub-King Lear. It feels very much a play of two parts, the second half weaker than the first and it gets a bit confused. It's littered with Lear references - from the aging Marshal descending into madness, to his daughter having the middle name of Cordelia. No surprise to read afterwards that this play initially had the title Lear's Photographer.

The programme makes references to Syria and the Arab Spring, and whilst there is some relevance, I am thankful that the director has restrained from updating it. It's a piece of its time, and setting it now would only weaken what is already not the strongest play on earth. I'm amazed this played the Adelphi- it needs the intimacy.

There are some strong performances: Ginny Weasley (Bonnie Wright) graduates successfully from the Hogwarts School of Acting - I enjoyed this more than Harry's current outing - and Rodney Bewes is excellent as The Marshal. Lovely support, too, from Toni Kanal as his nurse.

The new venue is very nice- I preferred it to the old one - and an easy 20mins walk from the NT. I can imagine the (rather large) bar area would have a nice buzz about it when there is a properly sized audience. Hopefully that'll be the case when I return next month to see Titanic.

#26 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Out of interest, did all 15 of you sit together or spread out?!  Patti Lupone told the story in her recent concert that "The Baker's Wife" took the record for smallest audience at The Kennedy Centre - 27 in a 2,700 seat venue!

I feel bad that I haven't visited the new venue yet, as I live embarrassingly close to it.  To be honest - nothing in their opening line up has really grabbed me and there has been so much else to see recently.  I will be there in 2 weeks for Titanic.

#27 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

Spread out- individuals dotted about on the forward facing block (I took front row centre, and with no one either side of me, it felt like a very private performance!) , and then a little cluster of people one one of the sides, as far away from the main block as possible (presumably because it was v near the exit, and so it was easiest to access if you have mobility issues). And then the other side totally empty.

#28 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostBinkyB, on 24 April 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Thank you xanderl for your link about the Catholic Herald, a very interesting read, I shall attempt to make contact and see perhaps if they recorded that show - fingers crossed! It is do saddening that the BBC burnt all the originals of so many shows and programmes - thoughtless.

Roomin8 - Thank you for your kind words, they are very touching, though I am nothing like these other folk on here. I'm just very old! When you get to my age, I'm sure you will have a lot to talk and share about as you are actively involved. I don't actively seek revivals, but keep an eye out on my favourites like Ustinov. It is astonishing that it had taken so long for any of his plays to be professionally revived - I did see an amateur production in Havant of The Love of Four Colonels - hilarious show! What is it you do in the theatre? I shall of course report my thoughts and comparisons! My son bought me a copy of the play online, so I shall have a good read of that soon!

Dude 1981 I'm afraid my carer and I are at a loss with your request. Though it would be helpful to put a link with the title. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

What are other peoples thoughts on Ustinov and this revival? - keen To know what a younger generation (or two, possibly three!) think...

My best to you all

You'd be more convincing if you used less exclamation marks.

#29 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

Oh you're such a cynic!

I'm choosing to believe Binky is what he says he is, and if he isn't at least he is more imaginative than the usual PR people!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#30 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

View Postxanderl, on 19 July 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

Oh you're such a cynic!

I'm choosing to believe Binky is what he says he is, and if he isn't at least he is more imaginative than the usual PR people!

Same comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users