20 replies to this topic

#1 sahunt

sahunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

It's been well documented recently that the New Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham has had a spate of negative press recently, both locally and nationally.
From what I can remember this theatre has always had its share of bad luck which makes me wonder is this theatre destined to ever fulfill any potential that may be there? After all it has lasted 112 years so far...
Personally I think it is a nice theatre in a city with which it should be able to attract product. but the quality productions that do arrive there are few and far between and have been for many years. I just wondered what others users thought of this theatre?

I would also like to say that this isn't me having a moan, I do like the theatre and personally thinks it serves a purpose to the city. I just wondered what others thought.

#2 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Well. it has huge competition from the Birmingham Hippodrome which attracts all the big shows. I you have Les Mis there the Alex will struggle for the disposable income. Stratford of course is not far away either.

#3 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, the Alex suffers due to the Hippodrome picking up the big hitters, and having shows that sit for a couple of months, so people get their theatre hit there. It was very empty when I saw Spamalot there last year. It's a shame it is surround by such stuff competition from the Hippodrome and the Wolves Grand.

#4 robg

robg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

must say ive not been to the Alex for years , always struck me as quite unwelcoming , and auditorium quite cold
as you say it has been there along time , i know it used to attract great shows in the 80`s & 90`  but they now tend to go to the hipp who have invested a great deal in backstage and front of house fascilities , also a lot of the shows they have are often at grand wolves or malvern around the same time i would much rather go to Malvern  as smaller theatre so better view  and some times cheaper tickets and also do standby club which can save £££.
  and dont forget the REP too as opens soon .i used to go to grand wolves  many times but as there ticket prices went up and up  i stopped

just an aside  but i didnt realise the ICC had a full theatre audatorium  until watchin BGT  its so underused anyone else know anything about it  poss called Quayside theatre

#5 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I used to go to the Alex quite regularly, until the private rail operators decided that the late night train service was too popular* and took it away. I liked it.

* Silverlink used to have a very useful and very busy 22:50 most-stations service from Birmingham New Street to London Euston. Then it was split: Central ran a train from New Street to Northampton and Silverlink ran a service from Northampton to London, the latter train departing Northampton just before the former arrived. Neither train company could explain why preventing connections (and losing the majority of the passengers) made sense, and both companies were adamant that they would not change their timings under any circumstances. It's still that way today, even in the hands of a new operator. So I don't go to the Alex any more.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

You talk about the competition from the Hippodrome but this is the UK's second city and it can't support more than one theatre? Shame on Birmingham. When I lived there, the Hippodrome, the Alex and the Rep were all doing ok. Not to mention the Crescent.

#7 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

I imagine its capacity probably means that it doesn't the big shows maybe ATG should invest in it like they have in Manchester and Brighton.

#8 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

This theatre is special to me (being a local Brummie) as it was the first proper professional theatre I had ever been to (aside from the Palace in Redditch). But I must admit I haven't seen anything there since Spamalot in Christmas 2010 just as its over-shadowed by the Hippodrome's large scale hit shows.
Not to say there haven't been any shows recently that I regret not booking, i.e. One Man Two Guvnors, Chicago, Sweeney Todd or Scrooge (which I later saw at the Hippodrome anyways) but it seems the line up is mostly one-nighters like comedians, psychics, singers and kids shows.

However I can't help thinking that there have some recent Hippodrome shows that have looked to small there and probably would have been better suited to the Alex such as Avenue Q, Little Shop of Horrors, the countless number of Blood Brothers visits (however I suppose that's due to the combination of the  popularity and the larger capacity).

#9 robg

robg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

i agree with above comments  avenue q esp would have suited Alex better  as would have END of the RAINBOW  which looked a bit swamped at the hipp , Birmingham has some great theatres  Old rep  too still a great house , the crescent as stated above too , i personaly find in this current climate ticket prices too high , i myself would rather drive to london for instance have a lovely afternoon and see a show half price rather than same show  currently touring , i cant justify paying over £35 pound for a touring show :(

#10 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yes, the prices, I think have really gone up out of London - I won't use the word "provinces". If you live within travelling distance of London there are so many deals on WE shows and plays - why pay top dollar for a tour which is possibly second rate and re-cast from the WE. See the original production for less. How long is the train journey to London from Birmingham - 1.5 hours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users