10 replies to this topic

#1 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Seems like a crazily early season announcement but maybe advance ticket sales will help fund the rest of the building project.

http://www.shakespea...maker-playhouse

Interesting selection - Dromgoole does Duchess of Malfi, Knight of the Burning Pestle (creatives TBC), John Marston's The Malcontent done by the new "Globe Young Company", a company of 12 to 16 year olds (which may be fascinating, or may be taking "authenticity" too far), plus an opera (L'Ormindo) co-produced with the Royal Opera House.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#2 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

They've got £600,000 left to raise, I wonder if the transfer of Twelfth Night and Richard III made any profit? I've read that they want to bring it to Broadway but I imagine that wont until next year as Rylance is directing Much Ado at the Old Vic.

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

I've seen The Malcontent and Knight of the Burning Pestle. Neither much good.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Oh, Epi, don't bring back that voice we heard when the Globe was first mooted. All that pessimism. Bah Humbug. I expect they want to try out plays that would have been the first in such an indoor space after the grand gestures of a Lear of the History Plays of the Shakespearean dominance. Another small theatre, with brief to celebrate plays of a particular and influential era. What's to dislike?

#5 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

This new theatre sounds really exciting. The plays should be different experiences in this new environment. I don't want to see The Malcontent, but I do want to see a Shakespeare's Globe acting company of 12 to 16 year olds in The Malcontent.

#6 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Anyone currently struggling with the non-responsive ticket server will be delighted to know that Friends booking for the Sam Wananaker Playhouse was open at 8.15am this morning and the system was working very well.

#7 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

It also seems that many tickets have been kept off sale to Friends and reserved for public booking. That is very fair because if Friends booking were unrestricted the membership could buy out the entire run of most productions and leave nothing for non-member Globe regulars who rely on public booking for yard tickets.

#8 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Duncan, useful info. I'm hoping they do an early public booking for their mailing list again :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Just booked my tix for most of the stuff. I found that booking for a Saturday night in each case, aprt from one thing which was a Sunday,  quite  a lot of the tix are GONE! These could have been the reserved ones of course. Hard to tell. Cos mainly the most expensive. There are many nimble fingered friends of the Globe out there. It is a small place from the look of it - well you can see that anyway from the outside - and it seems from the pricing that theythink the upper gallery is better. So if you are not a friend, get practising sharp on the keyboard.

#10 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

The £10 standing places are described as "very restricted view hearing position". So presumably you have to close your eyes and imagine what is happening out of sight below.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users