55 replies to this topic

#21 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

Saw this on Monday and I've been thinking about it since then and the more I think about it, the more I realise just how great it is. Great play and a great cast. As noted it is the community centre that really makes this so good, it feels so real and natural, you totally forget you're watching a play in those two hours and feel like you're watching someone's therapy, which in a way you are. I've raved on my blog if interested: http://thegreatestof...sformation.html

Also means I now know where Haggerston is! Centre easy to find when following the directions they email you and signs point you to the right entrance. Got my £10 Monday ticket at 9am on the Royal Court website and they were still available an hour later, although think it'll be more of a scramble after press night. There's a few tickets left for Friday as I type this.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#22 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

If you have a ticket, I recommend that you don't read any reviews (or comments here) because you'll enjoy this and get tangled up in it much more if you don't know what's coming and respond naturally yourself to the characters, classes and breaks. I've regularly attended a class which was similar in many respects, which added an extra dimension for me.

I caught a bus to Essex Road (Northchurch Road stop) and then enjoyed a 12-minute stroll along Northchurch Road through the time-warped de Beauvoir Town, with a right turn at the church to reach Rose Lipman.

#23 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

This is the best evening in the theatre in london

#24 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostJamiem, on 11 July 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

This is the best evening in the theatre in london
I'm tempted to agree with you.
I've been thinking about this for almost a week now.

#25 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 11 July 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

I'm tempted to agree with you.
I've been thinking about this for almost a week now.

I stumbled on this in New York
Went twice
It was lovely
And I kept thinking about it
Simple and effective very effective

#26 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

#27 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Tickets are up for a few nights towards the end of the run at the moment.

#28 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thanks drmaplewood, I've been checking the last few days and had given up, now I've finally got a ticket!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#29 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

I’ve managed to nab a ticket for tomorrow and couldn’t be happier.  A couple of questions for people who’ve been.
1) Are there restaurants/cafes nearby that aren’t too expensive?
2) How hot will it be inside the building?  Temperature’s been on my mind a lot these past few days.  Just so I know how to dress.

#30 Loopyjohn

Loopyjohn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

I went last night and I found the temperature OK.  It was warm, but no worse than many other places.  They have done everything they can to make it bearable, with a jug of iced water & cups on hand as you enter the auditorium and they even allow you to leave your seat via a back door if you need to & re-enter, but I didn't notice anyone doing so. I would recommend dressing for comfort.  I wore shorts & short-sleeved shirt - not how I usually dress for the theatre but I was very glad I did!  There's a bar at the venue - usual RC prices.  There's a diner style place on the short walk from the o/ground station to the venue that was packed with trendy young folk, but didn't notice much else.  Enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users