#51 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostLynette, on 20 July 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

I think having the husband in the class a bit odd and unconvincing.

I agree...I thought exactly the same but was prepared to forgive!

#52 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Both this year's Royal Court Theatre Local shows, Circle Mirror Transformation and The Strange Undoing of Prudencia Hart, are located productions, chosen as the best way of producing these plays, and not primarily intended as outreach to new audiences. They were heavily marketed to Royal Court Theatre audiences, with ushers handing out flyers at the end of Open Court Weekly Rep shows.

However, the Royal Court is producing work for specific, under-served audiences this autumn. Pigeons will tour schools and Let the Right One In will be targeted at teens with marketing and ticketing schemes.

#53 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

I saw this today based on the cast and reviews here. I've no idea what anyone else saw, but if must have been something a lot better than what I just watched. I just didn't get the point of it all at all.

I like something to happen in a play - this relies on cliches and pour technique - I couldn't believe the whole 5 minutes about falling out of bed and linking it to sexual abuse. And don't get me started on the marriage break up.

The acting of course was first class. Shame the air con was non existent - I honestly thought I was going to pass out around the 90 minute mark unless I left to get a drink.

Compete side note, but that clock on the back wall - the fact if was broken annoyed the living day lights out of me.

But yeah - I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it either - purely because there wasn't anything to like of dislike.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#54 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Outstanding performances from all, but Shannon Tarbet and Imelda Staunton really stand out. A very gently-paced show (by "Week 4" I did find myself looking to the broken clock for relief) but if you stick with it, the pay-off is quietly rewarding.

#55 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Tickets available for tonight and Friday evening at the moment
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#56 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Last year's "Pack" at the Finborough did indeed use a similar community centre class, to structure a play that commented on issues of class and race, and this play doesn't. But this play is just as good, beyond universally excellent performances. For me, this is a study of extroversion and introversion, how extroverted characters can fall prey to narcisism, and how introverted characters can benefit from being drawn from their shells. Shannon Tarbett and Toby Jones are the introverted pair, prone to coil their bodies, emotionally disconnected, wearing shoes or socks. Tarbett's character is so unresponsive to other people's cues that she would appear to be on the autistic spectrum. And throughout the course of the play, their exposure to each other and to the three barefooted extroverts proves immensely, if quietly, affecting. That Tarbett keeps pace with Toby Jones in the awkward self-containment stakes is remarkable, her fiery ferocity from Spur of the Moment dissolved here into zombification. Imelda Staunton's smooth-talking drama teacher, Danny Webb's wavering husband, and Fenella Woolgar's loquacious actress are the extroverts, who test the limits of their ebullience and superior social skills, through six weeks of group therapy. All the characters are well realised and memorable. Excellent performances, excellent play :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users