• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beguilingeyes

beguilingeyes

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

I've just bought tickets for this at the Chocolate Factory. Did anyone here see the touring production of this starring Clive Francis and Gary Wilmot? It was seriously one of the best things I've ever seen in the theatre. If this production is even half as good I'll be going often.

#2 Theatrebunny

Theatrebunny

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Do the Chocolate Factory do  day seats? thanks

#3 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

No, don't think they do.

#4 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

I don't think they'd need to, either, as when I booked, fairly late, for yesterday's matinee, the performance was almost sold out, though admittedly it was a preview so slightly "cheaper".

I'm still not sure what to make of it, though I did enjoy it.  I felt that the production, while unavoidably fairly static, was also rather too monochrome, and could perhaps have used a little more colour or music to create a better balance.  But maybe that would have wrecked the director's intentions.

Not that long ago I saw a touring production of Our Man In Havana (couldn't recall the title but the kind lady sitting next to me came up with it), which I think managed the transition from page to stage better, but I await others' views with interest.

#5 bingomatic

bingomatic

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

I saw it last night.  Thoroughly enjoyed the first half.  Plenty of laughs from the audience and a few gasps when the Wordsworth character was introduced.  I appreciate that we can't laugh at the character but it was still funny for the over 40s.  Second act nearly starting dragging as the twists and turns mounted but there were moments of great hilarity (loved the 'here the wall will come and find you')

Good set design and a great ensemble although I felt Gregory Gudgeon wasn't involved as much as the other 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users