#41 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 28 April 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

The whole thing is a mess. I'm embarrassed for all involved.. And depressed how we, with the best creative and artistic talents in the world, can produce a show of such ineptitude.

I presume I'm only one of a handful of people sticking it out till the end. I think this broadcast could be a one off.

If I was in charge, I would get the people who do the Tonys to produce the Oliviers, they know how to put on a show, British awards show always seem boring in comparison to their American counterparts.

#42 MrTRobz

MrTRobz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

That was thoroughly unimpressive. :P

Shows Seen

[LONDON]
Wicked
Oliver!
Wizard of Oz
Shrek

[BELFAST]
Joseph Tour
Grease Tour
Buddy Tour
Legally Blonde Tour
Hairspray Tour

[DUBLIN]
Chitty, chitty, Bang bang Tour
Hairspray Tour
Lion King Tour

To be seen

[DUBLIN]
Wicked Tour

[LONDON]
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Matilda

#43 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Well it wasn't the Tony Awards was it? It is no use moaning about a lack of TV coverage if that is the best "the theatre people" can produce on a stage! It was really amateur at times I thought. Dreadfully edited too. As for Petula Clark - words fail me - they really should have edited her out for her own sake. Where were the clips from the plays? It was all the musicals - it looked like the Royal Variety Performance and probably lasted as long!

#44 MrTRobz

MrTRobz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

I respect musical theatre but they should have put a few modern numbers on there. All of the musical numbers were very dated. I don't think bar Billy Elliot that there was one song that was less than 20 years old. Last year was much better showing variety with older tunes from Les Miserablès, Ghost, Singing in the Rain, We will rock you and blending them with newer songs from Wicked, Legally Blonde, Matilda and Shrek. :)
Shows Seen

[LONDON]
Wicked
Oliver!
Wizard of Oz
Shrek

[BELFAST]
Joseph Tour
Grease Tour
Buddy Tour
Legally Blonde Tour
Hairspray Tour

[DUBLIN]
Chitty, chitty, Bang bang Tour
Hairspray Tour
Lion King Tour

To be seen

[DUBLIN]
Wicked Tour

[LONDON]
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Matilda

#45 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

Slightly dissapointed, but my biggest concern wasn't the lack of professionalism in the broadcast, but the lack of adverts - ITV must have made no money from this, so I think they might struggle to get it back on ITV next year. Personally I think this should be shown in full on BBC, as this is perfect for their remit.

If I stay awake, it must be good.

#46 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

I did not watch but I see the Best New Musical was "Top Hat". Was Irving Berlin there to collect the award ?

#47 Emsworthian

Emsworthian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:14 AM

My thoughts:      Sheridan Smith was dreadful.  I'm not one of the "knock Sheridan brigade" as I love her in "Jonathan Creek" but if you are going to do a musical number traditionally associated with Marilyn Monroe, you need to exude sex appeal and have vocal ability.  Sheridan demonstrated neither in the routine. Also, I would have expected someone with an acting background to be able to stand still while your co-host is talking and not to keep gurning. The "Special award" to Michael Frayn part was an insult; he got a special award for what?  There was no explanation.

#48 Emsworthian

Emsworthian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 29 April 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

I did not watch but I see the Best New Musical was "Top Hat". Was Irving Berlin there to collect the award ?
No.  But his daughter was.

#49 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Why was Matthew Morrison performing?

#50 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

View Postjaqs, on 29 April 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

Why was Matthew Morrison performing?
No idea. Clearly a very over rated performer too from that performance and why West Side Story? Not nominated in any way. The whole show was a shambles. Plus the tired young moggies at the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users