73 replies to this topic

#51 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

So we are trying to get young people more interested in theatre are we? Not on that showing we're not.

#52 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Pull the plug on it. Turn it back to a lunchtime presentation and spare us the embarrassment again.

#53 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Anyone else surprised that Billy got the Audience Award? A nice surprise but definitely unexpected.

#54 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I was surprised that Billy won. Thought the vote would go to Wicked. Glad Billy won though, it's infinitely better.

Not surprised that Curious Incident dominated. It's a phenomenal show, though I'd like to have seen This House pick up something too. Sweeney's clean sweep was deserved. The only award I strongly disagreed with was Best Actress. Helen Mirren was good but Hattie Morahan was completely brilliant and should've won.

#55 COLRMCI17

COLRMCI17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

God just watched it - It's appalling. Sheridan massively out of her depth and in danger of thinking she's "bigger" than she is. Concentrate on acting and craft than making money presenting. It's just so badly done overall. How will this attract new audiences (mind how along with ticket prices now will they ever). Petula, gotta love her, but enough now time to retire gracefully. I felt I was hearing shows being crucified. Time to call a halt or get a Tony type show that makes me go wow every year when I see the Tony Awards!

#56 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Think it is a shame to cut the performances by shows in favour of solo numbers by names.

I say, give it another year and cover it properly with a live stream on youtube from start to finish. The editing was an attempt to make it "interesting" and perhaps a highlights version should be available, but some people want the whole thing. If this way doesn't work, but it in a hotel ballroom, forget the show aspect and get on with life.

#57 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3751 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

The least they could do is put the speeches and select performances (if rights can be obtained) on Youtube. I'd quite like to watch the whole tributes to Michael Frayn and Gillian Lynne.

#58 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

What on earth was Petula Clark doing on there?  It was totally irrelevant... and awful!

#59 MrTRobz

MrTRobz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

I was surprised that Book of Mormon didn't perform. :(
Shows Seen

[LONDON]
Wicked
Oliver!
Wizard of Oz
Shrek

[BELFAST]
Joseph Tour
Grease Tour
Buddy Tour
Legally Blonde Tour
Hairspray Tour

[DUBLIN]
Chitty, chitty, Bang bang Tour
Hairspray Tour
Lion King Tour

To be seen

[DUBLIN]
Wicked Tour

[LONDON]
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Matilda

#60 Catqc

Catqc

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

The Book of Mormon is eligible for next year's awards as it opened too late for this year's, so they will almost certainly perform next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users