73 replies to this topic

#61 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Book of Mormon wasnt nominated or eligible for an award, so why would they perform this year?  Next year (if its screened) then they will perform. Along with Once, Charlie etc.  Next years Oliviers could be really exciting with the shows opening, and also make for a great show...if they do it well

The opening was quite weak and cringe. Sheridan doing her usual schtick (as she did all evening) and vocally surprisingly poor. They could have opened with Another Opening Another Show, suitable song choice, full ensemble number to fill the stage and from a nominee.

The presenting and script was quite cringe at times. This is the Oliviers not the WOS. Hugh added class but making him say stuff like 'mahoosive', really?! Sheridan seemed a bit out of her depth, or unsure how to act at times.

I do wonder if the Oliviers moved a bit closer to the Tonys you would get a theatre awards 'season' and maybe get some more broadway performers over here like the Baftas/Oscars situation. Youd then catch all the late winter/early spring openings

Also the problem with the oliviers is they are a london award. They need to have something like best touring show award. This could be voted for by the public and that brings the rest of the uk (who are actually paying for these subsidised venues in london that often win) into the awards. Regional theatres could promote the voting, tv coverage etc through social media. Get performances on the broadcast itself and it becomes a great marketing tool. The oliviers are only ever going to appeal to a small amount of people as the majority of theatre goers in the uk cant get to london therefore have no idea about who or what is nominated. Unlike the oscars for example where everyone can see a movie

#62 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2540 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostTitan, on 29 April 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Also the problem with the oliviers is they are a london award.

The Oliviers are the awards of SoLT, the Society of London Theatre, so they are the one set of awards which should not include theatre outside London!

I haven't watched the ITV show yet, or listened to the longer Radio 2 broadcast, but I understood that the idea was to give a tv showcase to SoLT. Hence, the tv show (and presumably the live event) focuses on lots of singing and dancing of general appeal. If the tone of the presentation missed the ideal mark, it can easily be tweaked next year.

Issues such as disputation of the relative dramatic merits of Helen Mirren and Hattie Morahan are of intense interest to a few thousand London theatre buffs but completely irrelevant to the ITV audience. In any case, SoLT now rigs the voting procedure to favour commercial productions, seen or unseen by the multitude of voting interested parties. So, I think the televising of these awards on ITV could be quite successful if it goes even further down the "Royal Variety Performance" road, with barebone coverage of the actual awards, which are largely meaningless to most of the ITV audience and which are compromised by their bias in favour of commercial interests.

#63 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

They should just show a few dance acts. 'Missed the mark', HG, is my nomination for understatement of the year.

#64 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostMrTRobz, on 28 April 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

I respect musical theatre but they should have put a few modern numbers on there. All of the musical numbers were very dated. I don't think bar Billy Elliot that there was one song that was less than 20 years old. Last year was much better showing variety with older tunes from Les Miserablès, Ghost, Singing in the Rain, We will rock you and blending them with newer songs from Wicked, Legally Blonde, Matilda and Shrek. :)

They can't put on what hasn't been showing, and a lot of whats showing currently isn't that  good - so thats what you will get. We can be thankful  Let It Be , Soul Sister, and Viva didn't get on too. They  also can't show Les Mis or Matilda, or WWRY,   which are class shows  and lend themselves to Tv appearances - presumably  as they were on last year and/or the year before. . Legally isn't on anywhere any more - though it showed what was needed when it was. . As it was,  to get enough of anything recent/current and really good in,  they had to use Cabaret and Kiss Me Kate which have already ended short runs,  and Chorus Line  which soon will. They  just don't seem to like Wicked. They  are also limited to whats on in London - which rules out the 4 or so stronger musicals/casts that are currently touring.

They  basically need to decide what their audience is. They can put on something for TV, but they then have a basic problem showing what on earth the plays are about, and they need stronger musicals . They had the presenters right for that , but it jarred totally with the 1950s announcing voice over, the more  luvvie of the nominations, and   some of the more pious awards.

#65 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

View PostLynette, on 29 April 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

They should just show a few dance acts. 'Missed the mark', HG, is my nomination for understatement of the year.

Thats quite reflective though of whats on at present , though. There are an awful lot of dance shows - possibly  as an unimaginative response to the ratings of Strictly come Dancing. There's also a lot of Americans  - although the reason for that is less clear -  unless its an unimaginative response to the number of US tourists,  a continuing UK recession, and some big UK producers putting less on?.

#66 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

I realise they are run by solt but that is no excuse really. If they want to be the uks premiere theatre awards they need to do something that will make the rest of the country care (especially as the taxpayer pays for a lot of the winners as they are often from subsidised venues). There will never be a larger interest while the oliviers remain a self congratulatory luvvy pat on the back to each other. They need to decide what they want, do they want to be a celebration of theatre in the UK or do they want to remain a slightly closed off elitest event. There is no reason why a touring production and maybe regional award could not be added, especially as its not unusual for either of those types of shows to transfer anyway.

#67 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

Think a regional production award would be good or maybe best regional theatre to recognize places like Sheffield, Chichester etc

I think the Audience Award needs to included in the main ceremony, its strange that it is separate from the rest of the awards.

I've watched clips from the Tony Awards online and it is better produced and more importantly its entertaining, the Oliviers are dull in comparison.

#68 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Who was credited as the writer of the show ? Scripting those awards shows is a skill, there are not many in UK who can do it well.

#69 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

I remember watching the Olivier Awards broadcasts when I was a teenager. They used to show clips of the various plays and musicals nominated, and I'd long to live in London - I thought a major problem this year was the lack of clips. If you weren't already familiar with the nominated pieces there was nothing to entice you to get a ticket for yourself.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#70 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Have just caught up with the highlights on ITV player. If they were the highlights I'd hate to see the lowlights.

I like Sheridan Smith but as others have said, she was totally out of her depth here, and the opening number was dreadful.

I don't care how esteemed and well regarded Julia Mckenzie is, her announcements seem from another era, she needs to go.

For the first time in 10 years, SOLT had a golden opportunity to present to the UK what is so fabulous about London theatre. Instead we get a weird Matthew Morrison West Side Story medley and Petula Clarke, god love her, murdering Sunset Boulevard. At least A Chrous Line livened things up a bit. All in all it was a very dull affair and if I wasn't already a theatre fan, this wouldn't entice me.

The Tony awards look fun, glamorous and professional (most of the time) , something I doubt the Oliviers will achieve any time soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users