20 replies to this topic

#1 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

Has anyone been to this venue?  whats it like?

Just wondering was was thinking about seeing The Taming of the Shrew there.

#2 Monkeyman

Monkeyman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:An enormous range of things too lengthy to go into... all good clean fun though, no pissing on people.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

I saw a production of Volpone there which had a friend in it, plus it had the advantage of being just round the corner from me. It's a remarkable place I thought, make sure you're near the front but it's a really interesting building, bags of atmosphere - http://www.wiltons.org.uk/ this has some pictures and history of the building.
"It's made of real panther - that's how you know it's good..."

#3 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(Monkeyman @ Mar 16 2007, 03:50 PM) View Post
I saw a production of Volpone there which had a friend in it, plus it had the advantage of being just round the corner from me. It's a remarkable place I thought, make sure you're near the front but it's a really interesting building, bags of atmosphere - http://www.wiltons.org.uk/ this has some pictures and history of the building.

do you get seat numbers when you book or is it sit anywhere when you get there?

#4 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

The atmospheric Out Of Joint promenade production of Macbeth made this an exciting venue to visit, but John Doyle's more conventionally end-on Amadeus revealed its limitations: the narrow stage is set very high in front of the neck-craning audience, and sightlines from the informal seating are less than ideal.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#5 Monkeyman

Monkeyman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:An enormous range of things too lengthy to go into... all good clean fun though, no pissing on people.

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

Sorry Marius it was in the mists of time so I can't recall...
"It's made of real panther - that's how you know it's good..."

#6 Bad Idea Bear

Bad Idea Bear

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

Wilton's is usually unreserved seating.

#7 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Job @ Mar 16 2007, 04:16 PM) View Post
The atmospheric Out Of Joint promenade production of Macbeth made this an exciting venue to visit, but John Doyle's more conventionally end-on Amadeus revealed its limitations: the narrow stage is set very high in front of the neck-craning audience, and sightlines from the informal seating are less than ideal.

Job

i think if you realise that this venue is an old music hall not a theatre - and the fact that under its current state of repair which needs 3.5million just to make the whole building structurally safe is outstanding - as lovers of theatre we should try and campaign to save this unique and extremely beautiful place will WOS help with this campaign.

i am lucky enough to know the family who run this venue and i can assure you shrew is going to be amazing the set and costumes when i saw them on saturday evening were stunninig!

This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#8 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

I was not knocking this lovely venue, just pointing out its strengths and weaknesses. People who go there might get a nasty surprise if they're used to plush and lush.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:57 AM

Fabulous venue, the acoustic marvellous but the way they do it not always so good. There's a platform at one end and they sometimes use that as the 'stage' or they build it up to a high stage. The best stuff there was the Miriacle Plays and Carmen by the South African company. But beware, the narrow seats are very uncomfortable and they often don't have much in the way of nibbles or food for audience before a show so going straight from work might be a hungry experience. They do have drink. On the other hand they have occasionally had proper food! So maybe phone and find out. Seats unreserved and you get the usual bunch of coat layers... You can sit upstairs sometimes but not usually. It's  magical place.

#10 Ben

Ben

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 20 2007, 09:57 AM) View Post
Fabulous venue, the acoustic marvellous but the way they do it not always so good. There's a platform at one end and they sometimes use that as the 'stage' or they build it up to a high stage. The best stuff there was the Miriacle Plays and Carmen by the South African company. But beware, the narrow seats are very uncomfortable and they often don't have much in the way of nibbles or food for audience before a show so going straight from work might be a hungry experience. They do have drink. On the other hand they have occasionally had proper food! So maybe phone and find out. Seats unreserved and you get the usual bunch of coat layers... You can sit upstairs sometimes but not usually. It's  magical place.

What on earth?? They don't have much in the way of nibbles or food for the audience? Maybe you should think about taking your own sandwiches and a packet of crisps with you into the theatre.On the other hand stay at home and watch X-Factor with your ready meal. IT'S A THEATER!! I agree with you on one thing though Wilton's is a magical place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users