20 replies to this topic

#11 Ben

Ben

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 20 2007, 09:57 AM) View Post
Fabulous venue, the acoustic marvellous but the way they do it not always so good. There's a platform at one end and they sometimes use that as the 'stage' or they build it up to a high stage. The best stuff there was the Miriacle Plays and Carmen by the South African company. But beware, the narrow seats are very uncomfortable and they often don't have much in the way of nibbles or food for audience before a show so going straight from work might be a hungry experience. They do have drink. On the other hand they have occasionally had proper food! So maybe phone and find out. Seats unreserved and you get the usual bunch of coat layers... You can sit upstairs sometimes but not usually. It's  magical place.

What on earth?? They don't have much in the way of nibbles or food for the audience? Maybe you should think about taking your own sandwiches and a packet of crisps with you into the theatre.On the other hand stay at home and watch X-Factor with your ready meal. IT'S A THEATER!! I agree with you on one thing though Wilton's IS a magical place.

#12 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

There's a really good Waitrose cafeteria just over the road. Two, three minutes at most. Cross over at Oddbins and it's just down on the right.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#13 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

Hang on - what's happened to the nice restaurant inside the theatre? I've had some quite good meals there - before Macbeth, and the Mystery Plays, and the Beggar's Opera (or was it The Threepenny Opera, I can never remember which). Lovely theatre.

#14 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(Ben @ Mar 20 2007, 11:52 AM) View Post
What on earth?? They don't have much in the way of nibbles or food for the audience? Maybe you should think about taking your own sandwiches and a packet of crisps with you into the theatre.On the other hand stay at home and watch X-Factor with your ready meal. IT'S A THEATER!!

Whoa, ease up! Lynette was only trying to be helpful. No need for sneery remarks about X Factor and ready meals. I usually like to combine my theatre visits with some nibbles and it can be quite useful knowing what's what and where in that respect. Job, thanks for the Waitrose tip. I've only been to Wilton's once and didn't see anywhere nearby to get a meal so I'll remember that.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#15 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

Yes, definitely plan ahead where you will eat. Don't assume that you'll find a pub in the area serving food because if you met at the theatre and just walked out randomly you might well not find anywhere. We found a pub by accident but I couldn't possibly tell you where it was now (not because I'd have to kill you but but because I don't know the area at all). The Waitrose sounds a good tip - thanks. Surely most people combine a theatre trip with a meal (or at least a snack)?

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:14 AM

So, sorry, the restaurant inside the theatre has closed then?

#17 Job

Job

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Mar 21 2007, 10:14 AM) View Post

I don't think so, but first time I went it wasn't up to much so I've avoided it since.

Job
With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

#18 sim200

sim200

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(Job @ Mar 21 2007, 12:29 PM) View Post
I don't think so, but first time I went it wasn't up to much so I've avoided it since.

Job

A group of us went to see The Taming of the Shrew last night on the WOS 15 offer and had a ball! Wilton's is an amazing venue and this production was fabulous - it really makes use of the Music Hall setting and Oliver Chris is gorgeous! He gets it on with Rachael Stirling at the end - and I think it was definitely 'for real'!!

#19 Jenni

Jenni

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(sim200 @ Mar 21 2007, 05:26 PM) View Post
A group of us went to see The Taming of the Shrew last night on the WOS 15 offer and had a ball! Wilton's is an amazing venue and this production was fabulous - it really makes use of the Music Hall setting and Oliver Chris is gorgeous! He gets it on with Rachael Stirling at the end - and I think it was definitely 'for real'!!

I agree. I saw it last night with the WOS offer too - the second time I've been to Wiltons - what a beautiful place and the show was fantastic! Never laughed so much at Shakespeare in my life. As for Rachael and Oliver (fit fit fit!) that was the longest stage kiss I've ever seen! I think you're right - there's blatantly something going on.

#20 Jenni

Jenni

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(Alexandra @ Mar 21 2007, 10:14 AM) View Post

The first time I went i saw uncle vanya earlier this year - and had some pretty good tapas / buffet...  i asked and apparently they're doing it again for the Taming of the Shrew thursday to saturday, (i was there tuesday ) but i'd phone to check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users