3 replies to this topic

#1 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

Rooms is subtitled A Rock Romance.  It's a two hander written by Paul Scott Goodman (Bright Lights Big City) and his wife Miriam Gordon, both of them Scots living in New York - and it's about two young Scottish singer/musicians from Glasgow and their journey toward, well, the bright lights and the big city.

If it sounds a bit self-obsessed it's not. Goodman and Gordon are exceptionally talented people and their little musical soars and resonates and, in the inventive new production just opening at the Finborough, works like a dream.  Cassidy Janson is the girl, a Scottish/Jewish princess with her eyes on the prize, and she is wonderful.  If you saw her as Amy in the Southwark's Company or in the West End in Lend Me A Tenor, you'll know that she can not only sing and act but that she's VERY funny and totally endearing. If the boy, Alexis Gerred, is not quite at her level he's very good and they have genuine chemistry. They share the tiny stage with a terrific four-piece band whose members dip in and out of the action at just the right moments in Andrew Keates's clever staging.

I have to say that, going in, I feared a rock band would blow the walls off the little Finborough but such was not the case - the sound levels are perfect - mainly because the score is so much more than "rock".  Goodman is a sophisticated and original composer able to write memorable tunes in all genres, as needed.  There is a cast recording from the New York production that is well worth hearing.

Anyway, it's great.  A full house last night gave it a rousing standing O, well deserved.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#2 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

This has got some sniffy reviews, but we really enjoyed it. Cassidy Janson is terrific as "Glasgow's answer to Barbra Streisand", although she's more Bette Midler's CC Bloom in Beaches. The band are great too. One word of caution, the pub part of this pub-theatre has gone into administration so don't expect a tipple. Full report on the blog as per http://www.frontrowd...gh-theatre.html

#3 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

I second every word Mallardo wrote, lame as it seems, but I couldn't have written anything more complimentary and comprehensive myself.  I wasn't really in the mood beforehand - not even for a mere 90 minutes of something supposedly uplifting - but the energy and enthusiasm swept me along and I left singing one of the songs.

#4 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

I keep hoping to hear that this is transferring somewhere.  It's too good to let go.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

Also tagged with Finborough Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users