24 replies to this topic

#11 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Was just under 2.5 hrs when I went on Sunday (inc interval)

#12 Old Man of theatre

Old Man of theatre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm afraid I left at the interval on Sunday matinee. I don't know if I liked it as I could not hear most of what was being sung!!!

#13 samsam1985

samsam1985

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

#14 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

I went yesterday afternoon. For the most part I really enjoyed it. The only cast member I had any problems hearing was Ross William Wild. Though I suspect a strong singing voice wasn't the reason they cast him....

#15 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

I agree with your comments re Ross William Wild. He has a pleasant voice but without a mic he lacked the basic skills to ensure his voice cut through like everyone else in an otherwise fine cast.
I was entirely puzzled by his casting. He just didn't look like Jason. Not the character I was expecting from the various albums. I kept wishing they had swapped him with the guy playing Matt or one of the extremely jock like boys in the ensemble.

Maybe it was just me but given he was supposed to be the most popular kid in school and a real sports guy, I didn't get that vibe at all.

Really enjoyed the production though. Accents were not particularly strong and slipped into minimal. Loved the OTT sassy part from the Nun. However I really didn't care for the overblown performance from the sister, Nadia. Felt she could have dialled it right down.

#16 thatgirlsophie

thatgirlsophie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

View Postmrkringas, on 13 May 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

However I really didn't care for the overblown performance from the sister, Nadia. Felt she could have dialled it right down.

I saw the first preview and am going again this Saturday, and I was hoping she would have settled and toned it down a bit by then as it was just a bit too much. I fear I may be disappointed.

#17 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

It's hardly a subtle show, but Nadia is saddled with the least subtle of characters, painted in the broadest of strokes. And they've given her too much to do. Why does she have two big solo numbers? She isn't the main focus of the story, after all.

#18 Avfan

Avfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Really enjoyed it. Rumours are rife it may transfer to another venue?

#19 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Ah great? What venue is rumoured?

#20 Avfan

Avfan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Just heard it's looking at a bigger off west end venue? Paul Taylor Mills stuff normally transfers to The Greenwich Theatre, it might be there? hope it's true, it would be a shame to see it finish after The Union.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users