87 replies to this topic

#11 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

It was much better than I thought it was going to be in NY..  I trust this hasn't got Celie playing a trumpet and a banjo?!

#12 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostJon, on 06 July 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

I wonder if they'll transfer to the West End for a limited run, I have my doubts given that Merrily wasn't a hit but you never know.

The original broadway producers have financed this so I'm sure their intention was always to transfer this to town

#13 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

I thought this was just brilliant, Cynthia Enviro is an absolute star. I would get tickets now as I suspect this will be another sell out hit for the Menier. I will definitely be going back, it's one of the most beautiful things currently on the London stage.

#14 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

While I did think it was good, I think it may only appeal to those in the industry and theatre fans. So while it may sell out for the Menier, I don't know how good it will do if there is a transfer especially as the topic is very USA centric specific.

I'm tempted to go back once it has officially opened but from the previews, i would've only given it 3.5 / 5. For me there was so much story and not enough time to tell it ...

<spoiler> for example, why did Celie suddenly come to accept her ex-husband..why/how did her ex husband change? Harpo and his various relationships..and he opening a diner? etc </end spoilers>

so in a way, while the cast is certainly strong, it wasnt a stand on my feet/must go several times production.

Just my humble 2 cents.

#15 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I saw the original broadway cast. Great experience but ultimately terrible book and so-so score.

La Chanze was terrific in the lead but never underestimate how far talent can make mediocre material look great.

I suspect the Menier will be the same. Great cast but still the material is hardly going to set the world alight. Its a score that doesn't hang together with a book that can't cope with the scope of the novel.

#16 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

i imagine this to be one of those shows thats full of ballads and songs for female vocalists just to show off their voice.  is there much diversity to the score?

#17 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

How's Nichola Hughes? Fabulous I'm imagining... As always

#18 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Yep, she pretty much steals every scene she's in

#19 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Nicola Hughes is indeed amazing, as are the entire cast, but it is Cynthia Erivo who runs away with the show. The whole room stood as one as soon as the lights went down stamping their feet when Erivo took her bows. Have a feeling this is going to get raves. Well it's got at least one from me http://www.frontrowd...-chocolate.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#20 Mothers Younger Brother

Mothers Younger Brother

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Any production shots?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users