Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostMothers Younger Brother, on 13 July 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Any production shots?
I could only find the one I used on the blog.
www.frontrowdress.com

#22 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this production. The design is striking and effective.

Pretty sure there has been some trimming of the material? Felt much more cohesive than the broadway production (but then that was a long time ago so my memory may be a bit out).

The cast are fantastic. The role of Celie allowed La Chanze to beat Patti LuPone's Mrs Lovett for the Tony. Cynthia Erivo is equally stunning in this role.

I still have issues with the show. A church lady chorus is introduced and used but not consistently. Some of the narrative leaps are sketched rather than fully developed. That is the nature of adapting such a lengthy novel. The audience reaction was strong although I felt uncomfortable that a number of people laughed at lines wrapped up in misogyny, rape and domestic violence. Perhaps nervous laughter but still.  

That said I enjoyed the score a whole lot more than the cast album delivers. The experience of seeing that cast sing with such joy and intensity makes it all worthwhile. Will definitely try and see it towards the end of the run.

#23 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Everyone will hate me for saying so....

But I loathed it.

I saw the original on Broadway and that was hardly mind blowing, but this director has done nothing new with the staging or material here....

Visually it is unforgivably boring on the eye and I can see this being a big problem (if) they are setting their eyes on the WE

There is "minimal" in the way that The Donmar stage musicals and there is "cheap" in the way The Menier stage them (although the ticket prices here are now such that asides from going to the opera, the Menier is the most expensive  venue I go to...how ironic)

Yes there is some good/loud singing but there are plenty of good singers about and I think the actors actually outperform the musical

It failed to draw me in, most of the music is forgettable and generic

Most of all I felt the themes were not treated in a way which made them universal...oppression and abuse and facing adversity should stand the test of time, but in this musical they all seem like tired and dated

The arrival of the sister and Celia's children was totally perfunctory and I was surprised that any of the material provoked emotion in the audience at all

It really did not help that I saw A Season In The Congo the day before seeing this, where the actors are offering something fresh, new and exciting with a dazzling array of talent

I also wish they would sort out the toilets...they are absolutely revolting and not fit for purpose

On a more exciting note, Lenny Henry and Con O'Neill were in the audience this afternoon

#24 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

It is incredibly expensive for a 'fringe' venue. And it's not like you ever see your money being spent on stage.

#25 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

And this is one of those venues where you can't book the single seat of your choice online if it leaves another - despite the system asking if you wish to proceed, it won't let you even if you say yes!  OK, they obviously don't need the small fortune it would have cost me.

#26 mrkringas

mrkringas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

Well perhaps it is incredibly expensive for a fringe venue because the actors actually receive a wage?

#27 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Isn't one of the problems with The Color Purple that it had about 34 composers and lyricists? Thus - no true through music voice was given to the show?
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#28 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostMusicalTalk, on 15 July 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Isn't one of the problems with The Color Purple that it had about 34 composers and lyricists? Thus - no true through music voice was given to the show?
It had 3 composer/lyricists who worked together on it.  It's hardly a jumble of sound worlds.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#29 cjm32

cjm32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

What is the running time for the show?

#30 RentHead78

RentHead78

• Members