• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostTitan, on 11 December 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

I would imagine she will have serious competition from Jenna Russel.

I've not managed to see Rosalie in anything yet but after all the hype about her I was underwhelmed by her in the My Fair Lady segment on the National Theatres 50th

I also hate hypes but I think she's a genuinely good performer. Haven't seen her in The Light Princess but even in a silly, low-budget fringe production million years ago, she stood out and you could  tell she'd make it big. I don't think she was anything special in the NT 50th celeb show either, but I doubt it's easy to do much with a 5 minute out-of-context scene from something, shrug. Each to their own, but I wouldn't really take it as a measure of someone's abilities.

As for Jenna Russell, I don't think she stands a chance at the Oliviers. If only because there are two big, expensive, still-running musicals (The Light Princess and Stephen Ward) that need awards piled upon them in order to help ticket sales and prolong their lives. That leads me to the assumption that both Craig and Alexander Hanson are overwhelming favourites for the Oliviers. I also think that the Supporting Performer category will go to someone from one of those musicals. I think only Maria Friedman stands a chance to win an award for Merrily.
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

#12 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

The oliviers, unlike the tonies in nyc, dont care whether a show is open or not and dont award based on helping ticket sales (not that an award win boosts sales like they do in nyc). In fact there is plenty of times the olivier has gone to closed a shows

#13 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

I hated the Light Princess but it seems she has no real competition for the Olivier Award this year so it's pretty much in the bag for her.

#14 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3376 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

Jenna russell for merrily we roll along

#15 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1283 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Yes I meant to add that!

#16 Andromeda Dench

Andromeda Dench

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Er... theatre? Plays, musicals, opera. Classic and modern. Playwrights, directors, performers, designers. Theatre venues. Everything.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostTitan, on 01 February 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Jenna russell for merrily we roll along

Oh, I don't know. Merrily has had great PR, with the recent Digital Theatre release keeping the show in the news months after it had closed. So I do think it stands a good chance to win an Olivier or two, but I'm not sure it will be Jenna Russell. I still believe it depends on what the plans for each show are - does Light Princess stand a chance of a WE transfer and does Maria Friedman's staging of Merrily (with a different cast) stand a chance of a Broadway transfer that has been mentioned? I think a lot will depend on which show needs awards more, but perhaps I'm just too cynical about how those award things work.
And I personally thought everyone else in the Merrily cast was better than Russell (not necessarily through her fault, I rather think Friedman made some dubious directorial choices) , but I'm not quite sure my opinion will influence the Olivier jury. :P However, I do agree that these two are the only serious contenders for the award.
''Fosse believed that, “The time to sing is when your emotional level is too high to just speak anymore, and the time to dance is when your emotions are just too strong to only sing about how you feel." ''

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users