55 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

As it contains theatrical royalty in the shape of McKellen, Jacobi and de la Tour I tought I'd start a thread on the ITV-1 sitcom offering "Vicious"  which if you didn't see it is usefully summarised by the Torygraph here (though they over-praise it a bit):

http://www.telegraph...ory-review.html

It really is jaw-droppingly old-fashioned and crass and reflects no credit at all on anyone involved. However, particularly interesting is the involvement of Mark Ravenhill in writing it - I have long thought that Ravenhill is the most glaring example of the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome in theatre - here he amply demonstrates that not only can't he write for toffee but also that he has no clue at all about contemporary culture and is ossified in the 1980s (did he never watch "The Office" ?). He has previously shown us that he can't direct either with his woeful contribution to "Troilus and Cressida". I ascribe his success to date solely to the fact he is self-confident, shaven-headed and agressive, like a low-rent Steven Berkoff.  

I see the RSC have extended his contract as writer-in-residence for another year. "I think the RSC likes me to be around because I do ask questions and I do challenge things," he told the BBC. Having a  middle-aged no-mark like him around is hardly like to attract the youthful new audience they crave.

#2 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Had planned to watch this but forgot it was on and watched Dave Allen biog instead. Glad I did now and don't think I'll be catching up on iPlayer

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

The series was originally due to be called "Vicious Old Queens" but McKellen objected to use of the word "old". Work that one out. Bizarre that ITV-1 should be the channel to screen this enormity.

#4 webdesign24

webdesign24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

When I heard that show, I planned to watch that but after reading vicious review I think I wouldn't plan anymore.

#5 Curtain Call

Curtain Call

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Why does everything on TV or at the theatre have to involve contemporary culture- by which I presume you mean appeal to young people? Hello- but the world does not revolve around young people!
I pay a licence fee like anyone else- so why should new programmes have to appeal just to the "yoof" market? I personally found it funny, along with the following programme Job Lot- OK they cannot replace the drama of Broadchurch- but for goodness sake people- make up your own minds about something instead of waiting for a review to come out you before you watch something.

You do realise there is the technology now if you go on Iplayer or Catchup and  start watching and don't like it - they have invented a stop button.

#6 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

I am relativity 'yooful' and having seen the reviews was ready to hate it....but then I watched it, and I laughed. A lot.

Is it particularly 'high brow' or 'clever' no. It's not comedy in the vein of 'The Thick of It' or other 'cerebral' comedies, but damnit if Ian McKellan being bitchy and waltzing around in a dressing gown didn't make me laugh. There were some clunky moments in it admittedly but still, it's not the worst thing on our tv screens by a long stretch.

Oh and I never watched the Office either, because personally I find Gervais the TV version of fingernails on a blackboard, so however new and modern it was I was never going to 'get' it.
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#7 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

To be fair Mark Ravenhill didn't write it - he co created.  Was written by some chap whom wrote Will n Grace.
For the record I liked it! Made me laugh way more than the Job Lot (though as I'm the same age as Russell Tovey AND work at a jobcentre it was a little weird).

#8 glossie

glossie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Phew, glad I wasn't the only one who actually laughed out loud several times! ;-)

I didn't really expect to enjoy it I admit, but I couldn't help myself! Even my hubbie chuckled a few times, and he barely knows who McKellen & Jacobi are, but the silliness of it was what appealed to him. I think we'll be giving it a chance and watching again...and anything with Marcia Warren in gets my attention too!

#9 theatrepaul

theatrepaul

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

I wanted to like it but didn't find it even slightly funny. Maybe it will take time to settle, sitcoms often do but right now it seems like am awful waste of the talents of its cast

#10 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

I laughed out loud once ("I can easily cut you a big slice of NOTHING") but spent most of the time slack jawed in disbelief at how terribly unfunny I was finding it. Not to mention stock full of caricatures and stereotypes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users