#31 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 08 May 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

The TV reviews in the Times (there was one last Saturday) persist in this error. How could they have got it wrong ?

Assuming, as we must, that the credits are correct, then maybe the Vicious presspack is wrong - I haven't seen it, so I don't know. It could be wrong if Mark Ravenhill was indeed announced as co-writer at an earlier project stage, as Xanderl half-recalls. Or maybe the Times weekend reviewer is just sloppy. Out of interest, who is it? I don't subscribe, so Times is a mystery to me.

Epi, is your persistence on this topic intended to imply that Mark Ravenhill did indeed co-write it but then insisted on being uncredited? Do you have evidence? Or is it just a hypothesis? Or are you just being mischievous (as usual)?

#32 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

The other one (Will and Grace guy) was at the recording I went to and was announced as the writer. Can't remember if it was co-writer or if Ravenhill was mentioned though.

#33 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

I was unfortunate enough to catch a 'comedy' on BBC1 last night called The Wright Way. It makes Vicious look cutting edge in comparison.

#34 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 08 May 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Assuming, as we must, that the credits are correct, then maybe the Vicious presspack is wrong - I haven't seen it, so I don't know. It could be wrong if Mark Ravenhill was indeed announced as co-writer at an earlier project stage, as Xanderl half-recalls. Or maybe the Times weekend reviewer is just sloppy. Out of interest, who is it? I don't subscribe, so Times is a mystery to me.

Epi, is your persistence on this topic intended to imply that Mark Ravenhill did indeed co-write it but then insisted on being uncredited? Do you have evidence? Or is it just a hypothesis? Or are you just being mischievous (as usual)?

Caitlin Moran as I mentioned before. I have written far fewer words on this topic than you so I defer to you in persistence.

#35 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Oh.

#36 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Postitsuckstobeme, on 08 May 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I was unfortunate enough to catch a 'comedy' on BBC1 last night called The Wright Way. It makes Vicious look cutting edge in comparison.

My evening moment of amusement, thank you

#37 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 08 May 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Out of interest this week's Stage has a vicious "Vicious" review from Harry Venning which states at one point (having refered to the cast presumably having taken part due having close relatives held to hostage) "The same applies to highly respected playwright Mark Ravenhill and former Will & Grace writer Gary Janetti who provided the scripts .... ".

http://www.thestage....us-the-job-lot/

Inexpicably he liked The Job Lot.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#38 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostIan, on 10 May 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

"The same applies to highly respected playwright Mark Ravenhill

He's not really respected is he ? He wrote one successful play in 1996 and that was it. To be sure he's well-connected (how else to explain the Donmar's decision to stage "The Cut") and a master of self-promotion but can anyone here mention anything of merit he's done in the last 10 years which would justify his fame ?

His Wikipedia page (which otherwise reads as if he wrote it himself) says he wrote Vicious. My own mischievous guess is that for a long as everyone was lauding the general idea of this sitcom he was happy for the error that he wrote it to go uncorrected, however now it has turned out to be a turkey of monstrous proportions he has decided to distance himself by claiming his input was minimal.

The material linking Caitlin Moran and Ravenhill posted above quite nicely resolves the issue of why she was the only TV critic who gave the thing a good review.

#39 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Isn't he one of the bad brats with Damien Hirst et al? I think the establishment still thinks that a swear word or two [ in  play title for example] is oh so out there... pathetic.

#40 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Finally caught up with episode one and my eyes are still bleeding.  In a brilliant episode of Frasier Derek Jacobi plays an abysmal actor and resumes that here to perfection.  Ian McKellen matches him.  This sounds like it was written by someone who not only has never seen an actual gay person outside of Are You Being Served but has no idea what actual human beings sound like, and shame on the actors for reading this and deciding it was a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users