55 replies to this topic

#51 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

The most recent episode was poor but I've had plenty of laughs out of the earlier ones. Oh, and I don't vote UKIP but I do read The Guardian... ;-)

#52 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

It had already lost 2m viewers by the time of episode 2 so I doubt The Fall made much of a difference. ITV losing out to BBC2 in peak is a bit of a disaster for them anyway. I thought the later episodes were better than the opener but the tone is slightly off and a lot falls flat.

#53 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

I picked this up for the first time this week, surprised by the views here.

#54 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostThe Glenbuck Laird, on 18 May 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

I picked this up for the first time this week, surprised by the views here.
Even worse than we said ? If they had cast it with non-gay actors in the lead I bet it would have been taken off after the first episode. Still, I happened to catch an episode of that terrible new Ben Elton sitcom on the BBC and as a result my opinion of Vicious has been revised upwards.

#55 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 18 May 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

If they had cast it with non-gay actors in the lead I bet it would have been taken off after the first episode..

This comment completely misses the point that it's the reality-tv aspect, with its two leads, that gives the series its bite. I know those two characters. However, I still feel very uncomfortable with the Frances de la Tour character.

#56 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 18 May 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

This comment completely misses the point that it's the reality-tv aspect, with its two leads, that gives the series its bite. I know those two characters. However, I still feel very uncomfortable with the Frances de la Tour character.

So she isn't part of the reality TV bite you think ? I suppose you could make the case that there IS quite a lot of bite in a member of the Workers Revolutionary Party delivering rape jokes given the antics of its founder Gerry Healy. Incidentally, Healy was represented as the character Tagg in the Trevor Griffiths bore-fest "The Party" and was played originally by Laurence Olivier which is a about as a bizarre a political discontinuity as you can imagine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users