- - - - -

What Is The Christmas Musical At The Menier Chocolate Factory This Year?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

I really liked it, the production was wrong, but I think the score and book were good. A smaller production could really help the show

#22 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Great thanks, I would definitely go just to see what it's like. Sometimes the smaller productions are great aren't they. I know it's not popular but I really enjoyed the actor-musician Martin Guerre at the Watermill in Newbury when I saw it, Andrew Lloyd Webber was there the same night too, always remember it!

#23 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

Im not a fan of actor/musician personally but do agree smaller productions can really work, and some shows benefit from them

#24 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

That's the only one I've seen with actor-musician to be fair. I was excited to see it because never had and worked quite well in a small venue, I wasn't really fussed either way by the actor-musician concept!

#25 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

I hate the actor musician shows. It's nothing more than a gimmick. It means awful compromise - the score is played badly.. And the acting/singing suffers and forget being swept away with the story when suddenly the lead starts blowing a tuba.

Forbidden broadway parodied it brilliantly when they did their version of the recent NY Company.

#26 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

The only actor-musician production I've seen was Little Shop of Horrors at the Birmingham Rep and it really didn't bother me as the band were placed on a balcony behind the shop so away from the action. I think I much preferred that production to the Menier's actually!

#27 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

I saw the Watermill's actor musician Thoroughly Modern Millie last year, which worked rather well. I will be most interested to see their production of The Witches of Eastwick later this summer, since that's a piece which has a musician as a central character. That's what define one of the witches. I'm not convinced the concept will work with this musical - incidentally, one of my very favourites - but I will approach it with an open mind. And also I can't wait to see how they'll do the flying in that tiny space.

#28 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3378 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

im not convinced its going to work for fiddler on the roof either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users