27 replies to this topic

#1 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

Was wondering of anyone knew anything about this? opens 14th may with Felicity Kendal, Jonathan Coy, Kara Tointon, Max Bennett!

#2 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

I've been considering seeing it, but waiting for some reviews - and possible offers!  Also, I wonder if it will prove confusing for this to be around at the same time as the new production of Relative Values (which is also on my list)?

#3 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

I saw it in Richmond - probably at a more reasonable price than it's going for in the West End - it was a pleasant evening, well acted and pretty amusing but I wouldn't go expecting anymore than that. Though the reaction of the elderly Richmond regulars to the naked man in the first scene may have been the funniest part of the night!

#4 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

I loved it in Richmond. Felicity Kendal is hilarious as are the others - I thought Max Bennett came close to stealing the show.  This is actually my favorite Ayckbourn play - he was never funnier - and this production (Lindsey Posner) works like a well oiled machine.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#5 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'd have preferred to catch this in Richmond but as productions tend only to stay one week there, I just couldn't fit it in.  However, the London run is quite long so there are bound to be deals.  Also, I'm benefiting from the opinions of those who've seen it!  I have seen this particular play at least twice before, albeit years ago now, so I probably wouldn't have considered a third viewing had the reviews not been so good.

#6 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

I saw this in Richmond and I seem to be in the minority, but failed to enjoy it. I lay a lot of the blame at Kara Tointon's door for that, she was not very good at all, she ran the emotional gamut from A to A.

#7 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

What an incredibly well crafted play this is. In fact a masterclass in plot and handling mistaken identity. It starts off unassumingly, but then there's one twist which just sets it off and once we reached the interval, I genuinely had no idea how it would end up. Surely that's a sign of a good play. So well acted, too. Felicity Kendall is utterly charming.

A classic Lindsay Posner production- curtain and music between scenes, all very traditional but in the best way. He's a v reliable director (Turn of the Screw aside). Trusts the text. His production of The Winslow Boy is one of the best things on in London. This is too.

Should add: they're doing front row dayseats for this at £25. On the expensive side as dayseats go, but the view is perfect. Nice low stage and ample legroom.

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Certainly well crafted tho have an teeny issue with the ending. Will discuss maybe when more have seen it. Felicity K a delight. She lifts the whole shebang. V pleasant evening out, better than the telly. Seemed to be a few seats empty all around stalls so last minute bargain possible.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

Ps isn't The Wyndhams a pretty theatre?

#10 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I went to the matinee yesterday, it didn't blow me away but it certainly made me laugh once it got going.

I agree with Lynette, it's such a pretty theatre - the stage seems to be surrounded by a huge and ornate picture frame (appropriate given ART used to be on there, I suppose!).

Felicity Kendal still looks stunning! Perhaps it's me and my eyesight getting older (I was front row Grand Circle) but she seems to have stopped aging about a decade ago.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users