#11 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 16 May 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Should add: they're doing front row dayseats for this at £25. On the expensive side as dayseats go, but the view is perfect. Nice low stage and ample legroom.
Can I ask time you got there and on what day? I read on theatremonkey that they're not offering the seats every day..
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#12 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thursday matinee, around 11.30am. The folks next to me on the front row also got dayseats, and after me. They've not been publicized anywhere. Though it may just be that the front row seats were available, and they were just selling off remaining seats at £25.

#13 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

Would be helpful if they had a standard day seat policy, so those from further away didn't take such a risk when travelling in hope of seeing this.  Many West End theatres do set aside a whole row (or more) each day, so that doesn't seem an unreasonable hope, especially at £25 - which does seem to be pretty standard for a day seat price, actually - this is what I paid for Untold Stories last week.

#14 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

They are trying to be as flexible about "day seats" as they can, while they wait to see what overall demand is like. Better than a "no day seat" policy, I feel. You can always phone before you travel and find out what the latest is :)

#15 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

This play is an absolute staple of the middle-aged middle-class amateur dramatic world. In the past we sophisticates would have said we preferred Aykbourn's darker more challenging works but these days it seems there is a new spirit abroad and we are allowed to say that this is better.  No wonder Farage is so popular.

#16 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

View Posttheatremonkey.com, on 22 May 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

They are trying to be as flexible about "day seats" as they can, while they wait to see what overall demand is like. Better than a "no day seat" policy, I feel. You can always phone before you travel and find out what the latest is :)

Thank you for the suggestion, theatremonkey, though if you mean 'phone on the day, they wouldn't be open until after I'd left.  If you're making a special trip (i.e. don't live or work in London), you need to go early enough to ensure you get tickets for a couple of things, matinee and evening, even if your first choice isn't available .However, your new day seat section is brilliant and I've been perusing it with interest!

#17 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

A new dayseat website has opened as well - londondayseats.com
some info. is on there.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#18 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Fringefan: I realised that you were obviously thinking of making a special trip (lovely idea!), and my thought was just that you can always call late the day before and perhaps get an idea of your chances. That is the thing about "day seats" generally, isn't it, that they are so transitory. Glad you find it so helpful and do tweet what happens @theatremonkey1 #dayseat to assist the live update on the page.

#19 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Have seen generally poor reviews of this in the press. Puzzling. I guess they were expecting riotous farce. But this is worth an outing, very funny and with dark undertones. Vintage.

#20 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well it got 4* from Telegraph, Guardian and Times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users