19 replies to this topic

#1 Curtain Call

Curtain Call

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Just seen this tonight- it was hilarious. I am actually exhausted from laughing so much. It is on at the Trafalgar studios- formerly Whitehall theatre- home of the Brian Rix farces- and they have done him proud. Its a mixture of Noises Off and other Ayckbourn farces mixed in with a bit of Python, Austentatious the Musical and the reduced version of 39 steps.

Anyway- if you want a rib tickler in an intimate venue ( very up close and personal) this is for you. If you want to make a night of it I can recommend the soup and pudding deal for £6.10 down in the Cafe Crypt of St Martins nearby.

WOS have an offer on- see below

http://www.whatsonst...Goes Wrong.html

If for some reason you don't find it funny- which I seriously doubt- you will surely be infected with everyone else's laughter.
It brought back happy memories of real life theatre mishaps I have witnessed over the years. My personal favourite was when I was watching Romeo and Juliet and Romeo couldn't find his poison bottle!

Have fun.

#2 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:12 AM

Would this be the play originally called "The Murder Before Xmas" on its first outing at the Old Red Lion, back in December?  Because if so, whilst I can understand that title sounding inappropriate now, I think it would be fair for the producers to make it clear to potential audience members that this is not its first incarnation.

#3 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Why would audience members care if it was or wasn't it's first incarnation?

I also saw this last night and I don't think I have ever laughed so much in a theatre. Highly recommended.

#4 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

I think you would care if, encouraged by the favourable reviews and offers, you booked, only to find you had already seen it.  Unless perhaps you actually wanted to see it again, but for me, this genuinely is a case of "I think we should be told."

#5 Curtain Call

Curtain Call

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Having googled The Murder before Christmas- yes its the same plot- so its not surprising they rebranded it because would you go to see it in May? Its much too funny just to be seen  just at Christmas time- and anyway if I want a good laugh I watch repeats of comedy classics on TV- so go for it and laugh your socks off, even if you have seen it before. Its a better night out in my opinion than a meal and drinks next door in Spoons with their smelly loos and tables crammed together.  It's British slapstick farce at its finest.

#6 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for recommending this. Just seen it and laughed from beginning to end . Only an hour long with two hours worth of laughs.
But crikey the price of a glass of wine in that place is ridiculous.

#7 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Luckily there's a handy Wetherspoons next door and various other public houses over the road :-)

#8 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Yes, my theatre going always includes a rekky (sp?) of the nearest pub(s) for a drink. Have not had a drink IN a theatre for years!

#9 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ditto. I can't ever remember having a drink in a theatre, except for when on reviewing duties.

#10 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

To confirm the earlier question, the programme mentions how this was first presented as The Murder Before Christmas in December 2012 and then extended under its new title The Play That Goes Wrong in March 2013.

I went to see it last night with high expectations, and they were still exceeded - I was often breathless with laughter, such a hilarious show. Try and catch it if you can, it's the funniest play I've seen in a very long time.

I met Jonathan Sayer (one of the writers and cast) a few hours later in the pub, he was very friendly. I don't remember what we discussed as I was a bit squiffy, but I do remember him being jolly nice!
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users