#11 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

View Postfringefan, on 02 May 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

Is anyone else getting a little fed up with online booking systems which automatically add a "voluntary" or "suggested" donation which you then have to remove before proceeding to pay, if you don't wish to make it?

Agree. Any donation should be opt in rather than opt out. When I bought three "super seats" for the RSC "Matilda" in the West End they had the cheek to add on 10% "donation" too which I didn't spot until too late, I mean given how much money they are raking in from that show anyway they are having a laugh. Incidentally, why are they stuffing their members newsletter with reams of stuff about how successful Matilda is in New York ? Why do they think we care ? The message it sends to me is that they should be able to get along without fleecing their London audiences with "voluntary" chugging..

#12 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

The marketing people don't understand they are not selling packets of soap powder and then have to report to share holders. Theatre quite different and requires more subtle approach like targeted marketing so different spiel to different punters. Investors or more to the point potential donors, want to know that the show is doing well. You don't need to know. I am vaguely interested.

#13 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

When it's a few quid I don't mind in general but the RSC 10% annoys me. If you're buying tickets for a group it adds up to a decent chunk of money and it's unlikely everyone is going to be happy to pay it even if you are.

#14 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 02 May 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Does anyone ever buy a programme online when they book NT tickets? Is there any possible advantage?
Not usually at the NT, as I've often had to return tickets there. I often do at other theatres though, purely as it means not having to have the right change or changing up at note on the day, and so that I know how much I've sent beforehand. I'd do it more often if there was some sort of incentive
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#15 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 03 May 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

When you pay any fee, one sixth of it is collected and paid over by the theatre or agent, as VAT, to HM Revenue & Customs.

When you give any donation and make a Gift Aid declaration, no VAT is collected and the theatre reclaims an additional quarter, as basic tax paid, from HMRC.
And don't forget that those of us who are hated 1%-ers can list the donation on our tax return too and get credited for the higher rate of tax in addition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users