13 replies to this topic

#1 meerkat

meerkat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

I am shamelessly repeating this on this thread for more than one reason.

Saw this last night and as soon as it had finished I rebooked for September. The difference being next time I will be wearing waterproof mascara as this is a "Panda Eye production" alongside Austentatious, Spamalot and So Jest End.
Actually I preferred it to So Jest End- because as much as I enjoyed it at the time and it copies the formula well with more relevance to current West End shows and cast members- overall I found FB more entertaining. It is also not as cruel- it pokes fun in a gentler way.
This was my first visit to the Menier and once again I enjoyed the building and the ambience of an Off West End intimate venue. It is in walking distance from London Bridge. If you are a newbie like me- beware that the aircondtioning units are rather noisy at the sides- however they are necessary. You can rent the little plastic fans for 2 but I would bring your own manual one or show off your origami skills.

The cast of 4 brought their own talents to the variety of roles and the shows ranged from old favourites eg Annie, Into the Hoods, Sunday in the Park with George to current ones- Wicked, Hairspray, Cage, Priscilla, Jersey Boys etc.
Some were straight spoofs with satirical lyrics put to the original music. Others were altered lyrics from a different musical eg You gotta have a Gimmick from Gypsy becomes "You gotta have a Puppet" about Avenue Q and Lion King. Richard Rodgers "Johnny one Note" becomes "Liza's one note"
As I have many of the albums I came with favourites and they didnt disappoint me- Eponines "On my phone ", and Valjeans " It's too high- Bring it down!"
Another joy was Elphaba.
I do not want to sound patronising- but I do think you get the maximum enjoyment out of FB if you are familair with all the originals. It was obvious that many of the audience hadnt seen Spring Awakening as they did not laugh at the references. However you can get by without having seen the original show- eg knowing that the King and I is in the huge Royal Albert Hall makes sense of that number.
I would not go as far as the New York Times quote .." If you have seen this send up, you have no need of visiting the originals ". which is an absurd exaggeration.

So if you want to laugh all evening this is the show to watch- but If I were you I would choose your companions carefully if you dont want too much to go over their heads.
I know I could be a lion tamer,
I've always gotten along with cats

#2 arty_84

arty_84

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

Absolutely agree!  Saw the show last night and it was wonderful.  Not only is the material hilarious and topical, but it is delivered by outstanding artists.  Also, to see a performer such as Anna-Jane Casey in such a small venue is a proper experience! I couldn't recommend the show more!

#3 Guest_Guest_achilles_*_*

Guest_Guest_achilles_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

I'm a huge fan of this series, and I spent a year in LA, and went to Forbidden Hollywood nearly every month. It was outragesously naughty. Jason Grae was in it with the amazing Christine Pedri (sorry if the spelling is wrong).
My favourite song from FB a few years back was about Elain Paige in Sunset - something along the lines of;

One more inch
And you'll see my face
I'm too short
For the big staircase.

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:42 PM

Saw this tonight - twas great fun. I didn't get all the jokes but I do know enough about the shows [ from reading the threads on WOS  smile.gif ] to appreciate most of them. Cool venue - air con on our side so was ok - and also in the buzzy sense, nice place to go with friends, big bar space and cafe.

#5 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

You should have mentioned you were there Lynette - I would have come over and said hello  tongue.gif

Great show, some nice london touches added - all in all a great evening!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE(Laughingmonsta @ Jul 2 2009, 11:02 PM) View Post
You should have mentioned you were there Lynette - I would have come over and said hello  tongue.gif

Great show, some nice london touches added - all in all a great evening!

shouldn't this be in the musicals sections as it is a musical?

judging by the amount of trafic this section should be closed down. no one visits

#7 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, even the guests can't find this thread to post snarky replies in! You should DEFINITELY get rid... oh, wait...

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#8 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

You will find that Forbidden Broadway isn't a musical - Its a comedy revue! but thanks for your post guest..please do keep them coming!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Guest_achilles_* @ Jul 2 2009, 09:03 PM) View Post
I'm a huge fan of this series, and I spent a year in LA, and went to Forbidden Hollywood nearly every month. It was outragesously naughty. Jason Grae was in it with the amazing Christine Pedri (sorry if the spelling is wrong).
My favourite song from FB a few years back was about Elain Paige in Sunset - something along the lines of;

One more inch
And you'll see my face
I'm too short
For the big staircase.

There's still an EP skit that begins with the One Foot More And You'd See My Face, but includes some other stuff too.

#10 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Jul 3 2009, 09:42 AM) View Post
Yeah, even the guests can't find this thread to post snarky replies in! You should DEFINITELY get rid... oh, wait...

Its ok Weez, we have found the id of the unknown guest - and its interesting to find out who it is, especially as this poster is usually very well written and usually very polite, but has been posting as a guest recently!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users