31 replies to this topic

#1 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Saw this, this afternoon and it was very enjoyable. Touching father daughter relationship between the great as ever Roger Allam and Jessie Buckley's Miranda and also a rather nice brief suggestion from Peter Hamilton Dyer's Alonso when he speaks of the marriage of his daughter. Impressively physical but still nuanced Caliban who takes full advantage of the globe's noise interuptions from James Garnon . Lots of laughts, groundlings getting wet, a very athletic Ariel and rip rousing dance as ever to send us on our way.

Merlin fan girls much in evidence, have never been witness to so much screaming at the end of a performance there before.

Took my mum and we did standing, think she might be a convert, she was especially pleased that people younger than her were sitting down!

#2 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Good to hear! I booked this primarily to see Allam again but am intrigued to see Colin Morgan on stage (with a slight trepidation at the Merlin fangirls!)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostEmiCardiff, on 06 May 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Good to hear! I booked this primarily to see Allam again but am intrigued to see Colin Morgan on stage (with a slight trepidation at the Merlin fangirls!)
  He's very acrobatic. And he does indeed have very devoted fangirls. Best Caliban I've ever seen too.

#4 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostEmiCardiff, on 06 May 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

I'd say he was quite good, sort of still (well, when he's not being acrobatic) and brooding - i watched his eyes, sort of hungry. But yes lots of teenage girls, although amusingly amongst the teenage girls was a teenage girl despairing at the amount of fan girls too.

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

It's not really a surprise that he should be good - he did a lot of stage before Merlin, notably Vernon God Little at the Young Vic

#6 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Ah yes I know although whilst it may be a gross assumption I assume some of his fans think he didn't exist outside of merlin.

#7 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Roger Allam didn't convince me that he had spent ten years brooding and plotting his revenge. He's good at comedy, but the only hints of darkness came when he broke off, paused to stare into space and deliver the next phrase slowly and deliberately, before resuming like a smug senior civil servant on gardening leave, rather than someone on the verge of assassinating his enemies.

#8 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

First trip to The Globe tomorrow, anyone mind letting me know what the running time is?
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3755 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

Approx 3hrs with interval, according to the Globe website.

#10 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Two hours fifty minutes to be exact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users