31 replies to this topic

#11 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

Good to hear the positive reviews. I should have clarified I was interested to finally see Morgan on stage after missing his other (quite acclaimed too as I recall?) outings.

I must confess to a soft spot for whatever Allam does I'm afraid. Maybe I'll be a lone Allam fangirl!
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#12 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostEmiCardiff, on 08 May 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

Good to hear the positive reviews. I should have clarified I was interested to finally see Morgan on stage after missing his other (quite acclaimed too as I recall?) outings.

I must confess to a soft spot for whatever Allam does I'm afraid. Maybe I'll be a lone Allam fangirl!
  I suspect more or less every woman over 45 there is motivated by Allam fangirlishness...

#13 EmiCardiff

EmiCardiff

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 08 May 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I suspect more or less every woman over 45 there is motivated by Allam fangirlishness...

I feel it necessary to point out I'm not over 45, actually worryingly closer to the Colin fangirl age...(no actually I've probably got at least 10 years on most of them....ugh)
Blog with occasional reviews: http://fixedpointint...blogspot.co.uk/

Twitter with occasional theatre reviews and general nerdiness: @EmiGarside

#14 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostDuncan, on 08 May 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Roger Allam didn't convince me that he had spent ten years brooding and plotting his revenge. He's good at comedy, but the only hints of darkness came when he broke off, paused to stare into space and deliver the next phrase slowly and deliberately, before resuming like a smug senior civil servant on gardening leave, rather than someone on the verge of assassinating his enemies.
One of the reviews I read lauded the fact that this wasn't a production that was revenge focused, it was rather ensure future of Miranda focussed. Now I can't remember how revenge filled the last production i saw was (long distance from top of the haymarket) but is it really about revenge that much, is he really on the verge of assassination? If he was really out for revenge would he not end it differently? Or is does he undergo a change of heart part way? I liked the version of Prospero where he was ultimately more bothered about the future of his daughter than on getting his own back and I disagree that there wasn't the threat of something dark under it all. I think Allam is so much better than just a comedy actor, I didn't see his Falstaff but by all accounts it was great and you can't just play Falstaff as just comedy, there has to be something more.

I'm not over 45 either but i could be an Allam fan girl (without the screaming).

#15 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

View Postpeggs, on 08 May 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

One of the reviews I read lauded the fact that this wasn't a production that was revenge focused, it was rather ensure future of Miranda focussed. Now I can't remember how revenge filled the last production i saw was (long distance from top of the haymarket) but is it really about revenge that much, is he really on the verge of assassination? If he was really out for revenge would he not end it differently? Or is does he undergo a change of heart part way? I liked the version of Prospero where he was ultimately more bothered about the future of his daughter than on getting his own back and I disagree that there wasn't the threat of something dark under it all. I think Allam is so much better than just a comedy actor, I didn't see his Falstaff but by all accounts it was great and you can't just play Falstaff as just comedy, there has to be something more.

I'm not over 45 either but i could be an Allam fan girl (without the screaming).

Prospero was out for vengeance motivated by his fury but has his mind changed by Ariel. The key moment comes in 5.1. He has his enemies under his power, thanks to Ariel, and has this conversation with him:

ARIEL
…Your charm so strongly works 'em
That if you now beheld them, your affections
Would become tender.
PROSPERO
Dost thou think so, spirit?
ARIEL
Mine would, sir, were I human.
PROSPERO
And mine shall.
Hast thou, which art but air, a touch, a feeling
Of their afflictions, and shall not myself,
One of their kind, that relish all as sharply,
Passion as they, be kindlier moved than thou art?
Though with their high wrongs I am struck to the quick,
Yet with my nobler reason 'gainst my fury
Do I take part: the rarer action is
In virtue than in vengeance:
they being penitent,
The sole drift of my purpose doth extend
Not a frown further. Go release them, Ariel:
My charms I'll break, their senses I'll restore,
And they shall be themselves.

#16 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

ok but i still don't see that revenge has to be the over riding thing, that's not the only thing driving him though i concede if you didn't see that with Allam's Prospero could have been a bit of a stumbling block.

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

That's such a great moment of redemption when it's done well. The production wasn't perfect in other respects but Stephen Dillane and his Caliban, American (or Canadian?) actor, can't remember his name, did it beautifully.

#18 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

Nice Duncan. Not to mention the effort of thing that lot , actually very illuminating. I'd never really taken that speech in. And I can hear Allam saying it in my head. Seeing this on Saturday, well wrapped up of course with hot water bottle, brandy flask and galoshes.

#19 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'll miss you by a day, going sunday. First visit to the globe, most excited.

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

jags, if you are sitting, take your own cushion and drink; if standing, comfy shoes and best of luck! You will enjoy, I know. I always do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users