31 replies to this topic

#21 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

yes have fun jags and let us know what you think. Has anyone checked out the changes inside the centre bit yet? I shot through and went oh different stairs but was paranoid i was about to be behind a giant group of international students in the groundling queue so didn't stop to look.

#22 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

Marvellous. Damp [ a downpour at one point] and chilly tonight but the first time I've been really moved by this play. They play it for laughs where possible, broad but not crude comedy and well, Roger Allam, what can one say? It seems that with his Falstaff and now this , he has found his stage. Gone all that usual pompous aloofness, but he was a man with a daughter, serious issues with his family and special powers...which he gives up! Jessie Buckley as Miranda a very modern lass. Good support all round. Joshua James's Ferdinand less of a wimp than usual. The theme of good governance came through strongly I think, both of one's own character and then of a state.

Theatre development: new staircase which is good as I was always a bit worried about falling down the old curvy one, a cafe space on ground floor, usual baked goods, still hoarding round the new theatre and obviously a way into from the Globe spaces that is boarded up still. The Swan cafe very buzzy, pricey but quite nice food. So many places to eat round there; Globe snacks expensive too. But then they don't get a subsidy.

#23 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Ah so that's what i missed, thanks Lynette. Glad you enjoyed this one.

#24 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Enjoyed this very much. It was sunny most the time which probably didnt help the atmosphere for storms. There was 1 shower late on then of course chucked it down as we came out.

Roger Allam really was wonderful, big when needed to be and gentle with his daughter.
Jessie's accent is much,much improved from A little night music, though she still sings out the side of her mouth. She was so joyous and lively it was infectious.

#25 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Sings? I was thinking of seeing this but Tempest! The Musical I can do without.

#26 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2529 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 13 May 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

It does exist - Return to the Forbidden Planet.

#27 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Don't worry, the lyrics are by "W. Shakespeare" :)
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#28 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

The Forbidden Planet - brilliant. Bring it back.

#29 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostAlexandra, on 13 May 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

The music/singing  comes in at the moments where magic is being  enacted. Makes up for the lack of 17th century SFX and the  need to make things  clear.   Colin sounds pretty good. The spirits and goddeses are very good . Roger and Jessie don't have much to sing,  but its pretty stunning when they do - lots of potential there together  for other roles.

Actually the Tempest should make a decent musical. It may have  a  lot more potential than the Winter's Tale, which I thought was pretty tedious and ultimately story light,  but  got some well deserved good reviews last year for some really good performances

#30 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Many of the plays have songs. Full Fathom Five in The Tempest is prob one of the best known.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users